Default a better alternative to plywood?

Hello, I have to replace both the SBB tray and the inner cover in my hive because the 1/4" plywood parts failed in both -- delaminated, warped, frayed. The cold weather condensation has been collecting in standing puddles on top of the inner cover ruining it completely after couple of months.

Plywood is much better than hardboard or particle board but still not good enough. What would be a better choice available from home improvement centers? Thanks, h.

Default Re: a better alternative to plywood?

I use 1/2" ply for my inner covers, But trying to save money, I just made a bunch with 1/8" hardboard. Haven't used them yet. But the plywood holds up well. I have put 2 gallon feeder buckets on them and sometimes the feeders leak and still No problems with the 1/2".
    I would be worried about puddles of water from condensation though. You should ventilate your hive more if that is happening.
    SBB tray, screen bottom board? I have a couple of 1/2" ply for those as well with no issues, but started making my bottoms out of 2x with the corrugated signage board.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

Bottom boards are made with 1 by here. Inner covers are made with 1/4 Plywood it receives 2 coats each side with marine grade Spar varnish. They clean well and last for years.

I use left over 1" pine sometimes. Also just about any plywood. I just always use beeswax on exposed end grain.

I also use butt joints and seal with beeswax and paint on my Boxes.

1x for removable tray is a good idea, should've thought of it. Will try marine grade varnish for plywood, thanks. Are there 1/4" sheet materials to substitute plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by baybee View Post
    1x for removable tray is a good idea, should've thought of it. Will try marine grade varnish for plywood, thanks. Are there 1/4" sheet materials to substitute plywood?
    Marine grade varnish sounds like a good idea. Might have to try it myself.

For the removable tray, just use Corroplast.

Its 1/4" thick, relatively strong, and the best part ... free!*

*The best source of free corroplast is discarded/obsolete signs along the roadside - sometimes known as 'political signs'

I keep a stash of old signs in the rafters of my shop building. But you have to collect signs when they are available, which may not be exactly when you want to use them. I haven't tried this, but in some threads members have gotten cheap/free corroplast from local sign shops that may have have misprints, odd sizes, etc.
    Graham
    . . . . . . "Reality trumps ideology." - - [Crofter - 2017]

Acrylic / Polycarbonate sheet (Plexiglas, Lexan, etc) is readily available in 1/4" thickness & is not affected by moisture, but it's definitely pricey these days. Maybe use it just for your inner cover and use Corroplast for your SBB tray?

Was your 1/4" plywood "exterior" grade rated (waterproof glue)? Some home centers stock "interior" grade rated in the thinner plywoods too & it's easy to pick the wrong grade of plywood.

Two coats of "marine grade epoxy" (the clear type that wood kayak & canoe builders use) on all surfaces and edges of wood or plywood will absolutely seal out moisture from penetrating the wood & plywood too. It's like coating the wood in plastic.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Advantech---look it up and talk to your lumberyard. Refuses to warp. I've had top covers and bottom boards for 5 years that don't have a bit of warp in them.

my inner covers are all manufatured. they are thin luan type plywood with groved pine or such aroilund edges. they show no ill effects to moisture.

all else gets painted with latex paint. care is taken to fill any cracks with glue or paint. I put som glue on end grains when glueing and screwing boxes to gether.