Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Stratiolaelaps - A bug to Fight Varroa?

I tired the newspaper route and it definitely didn't work. George Scott recommends sprinkling right on the top bars and cluster. The trial was done late in the season and with biologicals timing is everything. I did have the same type of results as the blogger but that doesn't mean it's ineffective. As stated before we need more research.

Byron

I am still proceeding with my trial in the spring. I will share my results.

This is an interesting video showing the pseudo scorpions killing varroa. Does anyone breed them in sufficient numbers to use as a treatment? As Michael Bush pointed out, they already exist in the hives, and this video is just as compelling as the ones we have seen on Ss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzifp38vjA

Someone is at least looking at how the pseudoscorpions breed. Not sure if anyone has figured out how to breed them in numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmDmIwGFkc

Hi everyone,
    Things are going on as planned and proper research will begin this year.
    A few major trials will begin in Spring across Canada and USA. I will send an update now and then. A paper will be published in the end of course, but I expect promising results to share early on, judging by the feedback we have collected so far.
    Cheers.

AJSpencer?
    Anyone?
    Any updates?
    I tried Stratiolaelaps scimitus in some hives with DWV half may. Symptoms gone and colonies still thriving...
    Repeated treatment half september. Results of this small non-scientific experiment next spring...

Luc P. (BE)

Quote Originally Posted by imkeer View Post
    AJSpencer?
    Anyone?
    Any updates?
    I tried Stratiolaelaps scimitus in some hives with DWV half may. Symptoms gone and colonies still thriving...
    Repeated treatment half september. Results of this small non-scientific experiment next spring...

Luc P. (BE)
    Hey Luc P.,
    Yes, our main trial has proven to knock down the varroa numbers to 25% compared to the control. Chemical treatment comparison only dropped to 75% of the control. So, we know it works, but we need to do more work on how many mites should be applied, etc. Not always is more better, so we need to nail down a number. Will keep posted.
    Adam

What chemical treatment was used for comparison?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

I treated a few in spring, hives held up pretty well but I did not have the time to reapply in summer when I wanted too. I re-applied in august to one of the original hives, we'll see how it goes. The other hives, I treated one with a single round of OA, the other probably should get one, and the 4th hive was in full mite collapse come September.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    What chemical treatment was used for comparison?
    It is whatever the apiary would normally use, so they were called "normal" hives. There were control hives with no treatment whatsoever, Ss hives, and normal hives. The normally used chemicals were formic acid, oxalic acid, ApiVar strips.

In short the data for mean varroa mites counted in 24 hours on sticky board per colony:
    Normal: 17
    Control: 9
    Ss: 4

48 colonies were used, 16 each.
    More details will come soon. I've only received the draft.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by c10250 View Post
    How about putting a little moss under the SBB to give them something to eat when all the varroa are gone??
    In case no one mentioned it;
    Phil Chandler has build a thing called Eco-floor in his top bar hives. They are simply deep floors filled with aged wood chips to provide substrate to various mites living in the colony. This Eco-floor also acts as a sponge to suck up condensation. Its still being tested but it sure does replicate the hollow tree floor with lots of debris. I will be testing this in a few of my hives. Of course I dont treat against Varroa because treatments would also kill off Ss.

I experimented with trying to provide a place for detritus in a hive back in 2002. I was never happy with the results. It seems like a good idea, but in practice it's rather tricky. Either you give the bees access in which case they clean it out, or you keep the bees away from it, in which case their enemies can hide there. In a tree it sort of happens naturally. It starts out with rot in the bottom. The bees are working at cleaning things up and propolizing everything. Things fall to the floor (uncapping, dropped wax scales, dropped pollen etc.) ants go after the pollen. Mites go after smaller stuff. Comb is being built down and there is typically some gap between the detritus and the comb. It's harder to arrange in a movable comb hive...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My approach has been to use semi-rotten wood chips, which have been stacked on bare soil for at least one month to attract soil-dwelling mites, such as Stratiolelaps. This material is then added to an open trough, and the surface of the material forms the floor of the hive, and to which bees have unrestricted access. The wood chips are too heavy for bees to remove (unlike the wood shavings I tried initially) and the only problem has been keeping them sufficiently damp to maintain a population of mites, earwigs, etc. I am experimenting with lining the trough with a semi-permeable material.

Too early to draw any conclusions, but the hives that have these floors seem to be thriving. I haven't done any mite counts, so I can make no claims on that score at the moment.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

Good ideas. Though Ss may not be "the answer", getting chemicals out of the hives will allow whatever naturally occurring predators or parasites to varroa to enter the hives without dying immediately.