Hybrid View

Default Video Documentary: Are Govt & Pesticide Industry Responsible for Bee Deaths?

Superb video documentry on the partnership of government (EPA) and poison manufacturers - which has generated $billions - at the expense of killing off more than 10 million American bee colonies since 2003

http://www.linktv.org/video/8123/kil...responsible?ef

This was made by a team from Earth Focus channel and is hosted on LINK TV.

Includes interviews ith many important bee-famers, most of the key scientific researchers and a good many of the leading campaigners against systemic pesticides.

Please watch and pass on.

Killing Bees: Are Government and Industry Responsible?

(Earth Focus: Episode 44) Honey bees, the essential pollinators of many major US crops, have been dying off in massive numbers since 2006. This threatens the American agricultural system and the one in twelve American jobs that depends on it. There is growing evidence that a new class of pesticides -- nerve toxins called neonicotinoids, which are used on most US crops including almost all corn -- may be toxic to bees. The Environmental Protection Agency allowed neonicotinoids on the market without adequate tests to determine their toxicity to bees. Environmentalists want neonicotinoids banned until needed safety tests are done. While the US government is slow to act and neonicotinoid sales reap billions for the chemical industry, bees continue to die. Earth Focus reports.

Default Re: Video Documentary: Are Govt & Pesticide Industry Responsible for Bee Deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by borderbeeman View Post

Includes interviews ith many of the leading campaigners against systemic pesticides.
    I'm sure these people will give an unbiased opinion.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Default Re: Video Documentary: Are Govt & Pesticide Industry Responsible for Bee Deaths?

Well your comment implies that you are commenting even BEFORE you have watched the documentary.
    Are you being unbiased and open-minded? It sounds like your mind is pretty well made up before you even bothered to click on the link?

Quote Originally Posted by borderbeeman View Post
    Are you being unbiased and open-minded? ?
    Are you?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

when you and stromnessbees (who I assume must be one of your gang) start a thread I don't need to read the links although I do, your side post no facts, just unsuported claims, I have better thing to do than listen to gibberish. If I was you, I would ban all uses of chemicals on all agricultural product, so we could export even more food to you, or not.
    mike syracuse ny

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    when you and stromnessbees (who I assume must be one of your gang) start a thread I don't need to read the links although I do, your side post no facts, just unsuported claims, I have better thing to do than listen to gibberish.
    I've learned that posts from Stromm and Border are heavy on unsubstantiated and hyped up claims with very similar axes to grind. If anything, they do themselves a disservice because anyone who actually looks at what they post objectively realizes this and discounts them accordingly.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I certainly don't trust the ethics of most company's in America, if they have a chance to make money and pay fines later they will. I don't believe these products can be healthy for our bees and I am sure there are farmers just like beekeepers who don't follow the directions when using chemicals, but if they are used as widespread as they are shouldn't we all be feeling the effects.
    Shouldn't beekeepers who are exposed to these chemicals have massive die offs each year?

I don't really think illegal rates are a problem Bill. With neonics there are no dosages to calculate at least by the user, the seed itself is treated. Foliar spraying, on the other hand, does require mixing and sprayer calibrations. This has greatly improved in recent years, any farmer that wants to apply spray must take classes and pass a test to get certified. Despite that, the stuff they are using is designed to kill most every insect it contacts and applicators are often dealing with narrow treatment windows because of wind and other environmental conditions. Even the most diligent are probably going to kill a few bees in some situations.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Shouldn't beekeepers who are exposed to these chemicals have massive die offs each year?
    now I am getting worried, not only am I old but I have to watch out for the neonics
    but actually what I have read said and I can't quote it doesn't have any affect on humans, but now that does bring up an interesting topic for another thread. are beeks human
    mike syracuse ny