Default Two deep hive body

Why would you go with two deep hive bodies or one? Just curious any input would be appreciated.

Default Re: Two deep hive body

The two issues are, how much room does the queen need to lay, and what quantity of stores do they need to get through the winter. I don't use any, I use eight frame mediums, but still what I leave them for winter is important. If you use an excluder, then what is below the excluder becomes the only space available for the brood nest, and limiting that too much leads to swarming.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've never been able to keep a hive alive through the winter on a single deep. I have one that is doing great on a deep and a shallow, but it's also been fed about six gallons since Thanksgiving. They were in dire straits entering the winter; never would've made it without help.

We use one deep, then an excluder, but not all of the brood is below the excluder at all times.

Crazy Roland

I have always used a 10 frame double deep. More room for brood and stores. Also less swarming!!

I use ten frame standard supers for all wooden ware. My bees overwinter pretty well in two standard supers - but I am not very far north. I like the luxury of same size for everything.

Here where I live bees can winter on a 10 frame deep with 1 medium for stores, also called " hive and a half", however I run 10 frame double deeps, having enough stores for winter is a necessity but one must remember that the bees will need their stores for brood rearing in early spring as well, I want to be sure that they have what is needed.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio