Default what to do with it

I have been reading all I can about beekeeping and In reading lots of these threads I am amazed at how much honey the "backyard / hobbyist" beek's are getting. What do you do with it all? Are most people selling / giving it away? I would guess , on a heavy year we might eat or use in baking maybe 5 pounds and I dont really know , if I was to get 50-75 pounds , that I could find a place for it or if I want to go through the rules and regs to get set up to sell a food product.

Default Re: what to do with it

I keep enough for my family, I give some away, and by the way, most of those that I give honey to have become paying customers, and I sell honey. Whatever you want to do with it.

Ha, ha! I feed them back to my bees during time when they needed them the most. And keep a portion for my own use. Half and half is fair to me. Lost a lot inside the combs when they got crystallized. Lesson learned here is never feed them honey in the cold weather.

My wife goes through nearly a pound a week just to sweeten her tea. If you just leave it out and start using it - on your biscuits, pancakes, a dollop on the carrots while they simmer in the pan, on your chicken, on your vanilla ice cream, etc. - you'll have no problem going through 50-75 lbs.

True that, family of four and we go through about 1-2lb/week mostly eaten on bread or in beverages. Fair bit goes into cooking too, so that number might not be too accurate.... It's amazing how when you have lots of something you get to using more of it.....

Eliminate white sugar from most household use and you will be using a good amount of honey. A quart of honey is approximately 3 pounds.

In our household, we make apple or pumpkin pies in a cake pan (so it is the equivalent of two pies). The big apple pie uses almost 4 pounds of apples and about 1-1/2 cups of honey. The pumpkin pie uses between 1-1/2 to 2 cups of honey for the 29 oz. can of pumpkin.

Then, sweetened beverages such as tea, lemonade, coffee, etc. uses a bit more. Other people make mead.

I give a lot away at Christmas , people love it as a gift.

I also trade with my gardener neighbors , I trade honey for vegetables , and even trade for pork or goat meat with a local farmer.

I trade honey for farm fresh eggs from my next door neighbor.

I hope to have lots more to actually sell this year.

So I guess sometimes Honey = Money.

You won't be able to give it away fast enough to friends and family. Get them hooked then start charging for it.

When giving it away what do most of you put it in . I see in most online bee supply outfits you can buy those plastic jars or bears and such . Is that the best way to go?Thanks for all the info..........

H
    Quote Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
    When giving it away what do most of you put it in . I see in most online bee supply outfits you can buy those plastic jars or bears and such . Is that the best way to go?Thanks for all the info..........
    Canning jars
    And applaud the folks who return them.
    For refills

We get from 10 to 20 gallons each summer (two colonies). We cook with it, eat it, and give it away at Christmas. I'm expanding this year & hoping to sell enough to invest back into my colinies.

I give the wife a gallon and sell the rest (a few as gifts). It is currently illegal for me to do this but I do it anyway. Thanks to beekeepers like Rick Hall (OKBees) we have a bill which just made it thru committee and will hit the Senate floor next Monday I believe, that would allow hobbiest to extract and bottle our honey in our kitchens legally w/o a state inspection. 8)
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

People love the Bears but that gets expensive.

Nasalsponge would that be a federal law or state?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

I'm with tommyt on that. Canning jars work great!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    H

Canning jars
    And applaud the folks who return them.
    For refills

I give away honey to my friends and neighbors - apparently, their needs in whole honey are growing. I have no problem utilizing my honey. But yes, it is amusing how such small creatures managed to produce so much! Such gift from nature!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
    Jars from pickling usually smells. I am using 16 oz glass jars from the almond butter with metal lids. I am giving away honey with condition to return the empty jar. One neighbor donated unopened box with jam jars. It was very nice. For gifts, I am buying 100 ml "fancy" jars on the Internet - those are $1 apiece, more like $1.5 with S&H. We also collect nice looking jars from jam or preserves.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Just bought an order of 8 oz bears for $0.58 each (with lids & free shipping). And yes, people love the bears. It's amazing how many doors can be opened by slipping someone a bottle of honey! If there's a receptionist somewhere that you'd like a favor from ("call me if there's an opening", "get the best seats", "I need an appointment with..."), nothing works better than honey bear.

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post

Nasalsponge would that be a federal law or state?
    I'm not Nasalsponge, but it's a state law. here in Missouri I can bottle and sell out of my kitchen, but only to friends, neighbors, and farmer's markets. If I sell to stores for reselling, I have to have an approved processing facility.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Steven is correct, state law....sorry.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Betterbee has pretty good prices on bulk plastic bottles with free shipping.