Hybrid View

Default what to do with it

I have been reading all I can about beekeeping and In reading lots of these threads I am amazed at how much honey the "backyard / hobbyist" beek's are getting. What do you do with it all? Are most people selling / giving it away? I would guess , on a heavy year we might eat or use in baking maybe 5 pounds and I dont really know , if I was to get 50-75 pounds , that I could find a place for it or if I want to go through the rules and regs to get set up to sell a food product.

Default Re: what to do with it

I keep enough for my family, I give some away, and by the way, most of those that I give honey to have become paying customers, and I sell honey. Whatever you want to do with it.

Ha, ha! I feed them back to my bees during time when they needed them the most. And keep a portion for my own use. Half and half is fair to me. Lost a lot inside the combs when they got crystallized. Lesson learned here is never feed them honey in the cold weather.

My wife goes through nearly a pound a week just to sweeten her tea. If you just leave it out and start using it - on your biscuits, pancakes, a dollop on the carrots while they simmer in the pan, on your chicken, on your vanilla ice cream, etc. - you'll have no problem going through 50-75 lbs.

True that, family of four and we go through about 1-2lb/week mostly eaten on bread or in beverages. Fair bit goes into cooking too, so that number might not be too accurate.... It's amazing how when you have lots of something you get to using more of it.....

Eliminate white sugar from most household use and you will be using a good amount of honey. A quart of honey is approximately 3 pounds.

In our household, we make apple or pumpkin pies in a cake pan (so it is the equivalent of two pies). The big apple pie uses almost 4 pounds of apples and about 1-1/2 cups of honey. The pumpkin pie uses between 1-1/2 to 2 cups of honey for the 29 oz. can of pumpkin.

Then, sweetened beverages such as tea, lemonade, coffee, etc. uses a bit more. Other people make mead.