Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Maine

Default Hi from Maine

Total newb here except for just having read Beekeeping for dummies and
    ordering a package of bees to be delivered May 6 ish.

Q..... Should i go with deep or medium hive bodies ?
    Getting older, maybe mediums will be easier to deal with later ?

Thanks, getting excited

Default Re: Hi from Maine

Greetings! What part of Maine are you from? I run mostly 8 frame mediums myself, because I'm lazy.

Welcome to Beesource!

> Should i go with deep or medium hive bodies?

This page may be of interest to you ...
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

woodsy,

I used to have bees and I am working on the set up to get started again. When I had bees before, I used DEEP boxes for the brood chambers and MEDIUM boxes for honey supers. Here in Maine, I would suggest giving your bees all of the storge room they can get for overwintering, that's why I used the DEEP boxes. As far as honey supers go, select the ones that will be easiest to carry. Also consider using a cart or wheelbarrow to do the heavy lifting during harvest time. Save your back.

Hope this helps,
    Paul

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Ledge, I'm in the Farmington area but out in the woods .

Thanks for sharing that link Rader Sidetrack.

Paul, is there any time you have to handle or move a fully loaded deep box ?
    Guess I'll have to look into this overwintering with mediums some more.
    Glad you brought that to my attention.

Total newb , thanks for all the input

edit.... I see beginner kits being offered here with 2 choices locally, 2 deep or 3 medium .
    I suppose the 3 medium would be about the same overall size as 2 deeps yes ?
    Last edited by woodsy; 03-03-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Hi Woodsy, I'm new this year and I'm going to use2 8 Frame Deeps for brood and mediums for Honey. I've read a lot and and some people say three mediums equal 2 deeps. Hope this helps

Welcome to the site!

woodsy,

Please bear in mind that the brood chambers (whichever size you choose) will basically be permanently out in your beeyard. First, you should NOT be taking any honey from these boxes - that's where the bees store their over-winter food supply. Next, keep in mind that the honey supers DON'T have to be the same size as the brood chambers. The honey supers are the boxes that you get to harvest honey from. These are the boxes to consider the weight of when full of honey.

I live in Bridgton and would be glad to talk with you or give you a hand if needed.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bridgtonblacksmith View Post
    woodsy,

Please bear in mind that the brood chambers (whichever size you choose) will basically be permanently out in your beeyard. First, you should NOT be taking any honey from these boxes - that's where the bees store their over-winter food supply. Next, keep in mind that the honey supers DON'T have to be the same size as the brood chambers. The honey supers are the boxes that you get to harvest honey from. These are the boxes to consider the weight of when full of honey.
    Although the deeps stay out in the yard you still have to lift off the top one and put it somewhere every time you do an inspection of the bottom box, no? and this is heavy lifting. After my first season last year doing it the 'standard' way of two deeps on the bottom, I am resolved on migrating to all mediums this year, or maybe try some top bar hives, which get around that issue of hefting 80 lb plus boxes. This poses another challenge in terms of how you cut down frames that are occupied!

Rob

Rob,

YES, good point. You do have to move the upper brood chamber when performing an inspection. I offer this possibility... If you take an empty deep box (no frames inside) and place this beside the hive being inspected, you can open the top box, inspect each frame and place it in the empty box instead of back into the top brood chamber. Once you have inspected all of the frames in the top box, they are now in the box beside the hive. All you have to lift is the empty brood chamber box. I realize this is a little slower but, it can be done. You would also have to reload the top box again as well...

Paul

Started with deeps, do over would be mediums or even shallows. You can and will shuffle them around like cards but there are times you will handle the whole box. Deeps can be a little inconvenient when you want to move brood or stores around. Kind of like using a quart measure to move a cup sometimes.
    A little easier to get the wood to make your own with medium or shallows.
    My back has the biggest vote in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgtonblacksmith View Post
    woodsy,

I live in Bridgton and would be glad to talk with you or give you a hand if needed.

Paul
    Thanks for the generous offer ! Will keep it in mind but think i will be O.K.
    Now considering building my own boxes whatever size i decide and just buying the top frames, they are cheap enough.
    Almost warm enough to fire up the woodworking shop.
    And thanks for the warm welcome all !

Myself, I can't build boxes for what I can buy them for from Humble Abodes. Of course, you need to come up with a reason to drive to the Windsor area.

Quote Originally Posted by Ledge View Post
    Myself, I can't build boxes for what I can buy them for from Humble Abodes. Of course, you need to come up with a reason to drive to the Windsor area.
    Wasn't aware of them but google is my friend.
    They do have some very good prices, how is the commercial product quality ?
    It would be hard to build boxes any cheaper if i didn't have my own lumber off the back 40 hanging around.

Might be worth a ride over , thanks for the tip .

Hi Woodsy, I just got 7 deeps,and 7medium Boxes plus 50 medium and 50 deep Frames and got all budget level from Humble Abode. Everything was in great shape and fit together well with no problems. I called them up. ordered everything and went down to the factory and picked them up. All 8 Frame. Paid 9.35 each for the deeps, paid 6.50 each for the mediums, .73 cent each for the 9 1/8th frames and .67 cents each for the 6 1/4 frames.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Hi Woodsy, I just got 7 deeps,and 7medium Boxes plus 50 medium and 50 deep Frames and got all budget level from Humble Abode. Everything was in great shape and fit together well with no problems. I called them up. ordered everything and went down to the factory and picked them up. All 8 Frame. Paid 9.35 each for the deeps, paid 6.50 each for the mediums, .73 cent each for the 9 1/8th frames and .67 cents each for the 6 1/4 frames.
    Nice !
    Was that assembled ?

Welcome.

Hi Woodsy, These were unassembled but I enjoyed assembling the pieces. I don't know if Humble Abode would assemble the units or what the cost would be.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Hi Woodsy, These were unassembled but I enjoyed assembling the pieces. I don't know if Humble Abode would assemble the units or what the cost would be.
    I called and talked with them yesterday. Seems like a good place to do business.
    Got an order together and it was ready to go a few hrs later, including the wax foundations.

Yeah, for the prices i just bought all the woodenware i'll need for the 1st year.
    Appreciating all the great tips and info here at Beesource