Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: fermented honey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    18

    Default fermented honey

    What happens when bees get into fermented honey, Someone in our beeclub said it was toxic to bees? i always put out frames to be cleaned by the bees in the spring, sometimes there are frames that were not capped or capped enough that I don't spin, i put these out in the fall or spring, far enough away from the hives not to encourage robbing behavior, (1/4 mile+) I have never seen a lot of dead bees? any ideas? comments? other that they get drunk! thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: fermented honey

    Alcohol kills bees almost instantly. It will either wipe out a hive, or they will do their best to avoid it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Panama City, Florida, USA
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: fermented honey

    Actually bees have a higher tolerance for consuming alcohol than humans do.

    http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/a...zing-bees.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: fermented honey

    I have seen those too, but keep in mind that is in relation to body size. I have done research on bees and spilled alcohol on the case, let it evaporate, and put it back on the hive only to have the hive die from toxins. In general it is best to keep them as far away from alcohol as humanly possible.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Great Falls Montana
    Posts
    3,952

    Default Re: fermented honey

    But fermented honey in comb or feeder doesn't seem to ever kill bees so it must be a different causation.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Panama City, Florida, USA
    Posts
    554

    Default Re: fermented honey

    Quote Originally Posted by Verick369 View Post
    I have seen those too, but keep in mind that is in relation to body size. I have done research on bees and spilled alcohol on the case, let it evaporate, and put it back on the hive only to have the hive die from toxins. In general it is best to keep them as far away from alcohol as humanly possible.
    There is a difference in a topical treatment of 80% to 100% denatured or rubbing alcohol an ingestation of less that 20% concentration of alchohol. it is in relation to body size and bees can consume more alcohol by percentage than humans can.

    If you let the alcohol evaporate then some left behind residue killed the bees, then it was not the alcohol that killed them but some impurities in the solution. Because the alcohol evaporated and was no longer present.

    Generally fermented honey will not damage your bees. Otherwise any hive that allowed nectar to ferment, and it does happen in good hives, would die out.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads