Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A beekeeper's burro

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  BeeCurious 
#1 ·
I ran into this cute picture...

See less See more
#12 ·
I was in Cuernava, Mexico last week and visited some bee yards of Enrique Estrada a local queen breeder. Enrique breeds and sells queens and has practiced II for his genetics for many years. Thanks to people like him beekeepers are able to work and manage their colonies and not have to dress up like the burro. He did explain to me that he receives numerous calls from farmers who's livestock are killed each year as it is very common. Horses, dogs, donkeys, and several individuals. We worked a few of his yards with a veil and tee-shirts. It was a very informative visit.

#14 ·
This appears to be the original source of the donkey in a beesuit:
http://www.treehugger.com/culture/honey-farmer-creates-beekeeping-suit-his-donkey.html

Boneco, the donkey, lives in Brazil.
In recent years, harvesting honey has grown signifcantly in Manuel's little rural town of Itatira, in the Brazilian state of Ceará -- in fact, the bees there are thebiggest producers around. But of 120 or so beekeepers in Itatira, Manuel and his donkey Boneco are among the most successful, thanks in part to Manuel's invention: the donkey-sized beekeeper's suit that keeps his partner safe from stings.
Here's another view from that same link:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.