Default History, geneology, and beekeeping

My wife has done some genealogy and has a lot of books. She got a new book yesterday and we were looking through it and discovered a lot of people were beekeepers around the turn of the 20th century. None of them seemed to wear veils or gloves either. It must have been nice to raise bees without mites and beetles and Africanized bees. I think it's neat to see old-time hives and setups.

My Grandfather on my Father's side of the family grew up in Cades Cove, which is now a part of the Smoky Mountains National Park on the TN-NC border. Most of the residents left the park in the 1930s.

Here are some neat pictures of folks in Cades Cove and their beekeeping from before the 1930s. I'm not sure of exact dates. One of the folks, Daniel "Uncle Dan" Myers had a lot of bees. The best I can determine is that he was my Grandfather's first or second cousin. He even made hives out of old sweetgum tree stumps.

Here's some other folk's bees:

I don't think Bess Myers is directly related to Dan Myers

Last edited by Slow Modem; 02-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Default Re: History, geneology, and beekeeping

Really neat pics. I really like the "gum" hives, and plan to create one with moveable frames so I can have the "look", but be safe and legal.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Cool. I am into genealogy, as well. Also, planning a return trip to Cades Cove in the next couple of months to go camping. -js

Thanks for posting! I love Cades Cove. Always a thrill to walk up to big bucks. Last time we were there it took hours to get around the loop. A bear was in a tree along the road and everyone had to get out and look at it. I thought about selling tickets for a chance to see one on my front porch! lol

Didn't beekeepers smile back in the good old days?

Say Cheeeze

Very cool Thanks for sharing them with us.