Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Robert Russell Apiaries - Update

204K views 407 replies 96 participants last post by  AstroBee 
#1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know some of the information that I discovered while trying to figure out who stole my hives. Robert Russell is running a big scam. He was going by the name Rob hughes on the phone and in person saying that rob hughes was Roberts employee and crew chief. He is very good at this and always referred to Robert as "Doc" in the third person. He even sent me PM's stating Rob was in Florida running their bees there and he was all over the country tending bees. I discovered this after the sheriffs office showed me a mug shot of Robert Russell and it was the same person I had been working with calling him self rob hughes. I personally do not believe he has more than a few hive and does not have all these different strains. Any strains he does have must of came from his fathers operation. The sheriff's office also told us he was charged in Philadelphia MS with taking someones money for bees and never delivering them. I believe most of the people working for him and running his "Russell apiaries family" sites also know all this. I would recommend anyone with orders with anyone associated with Robert Russell cancel them. The man is a dishonest crook. I speculate but have no proof that he was taking my bees all year long and selling them as nucs with phillip butts, one of his "employees"

#215 ·
Re: Robert Russell is a fraud

Beregondo... This is not the first and I am sure will not be the last time you bear strong words towards me. It bothered me at first... but am gonna let it slide cuz I know you don't know what you are talking about in most of your facts...

Some of know he had some kick-***** bees.
True statement... and I have said many times his Dad did have excellent bees... that is where Robert's bees came from... from the back yard at his Dad's house.

Speculation and assumption without expressed as suggestion that any man, even a man know to lie and be dishonest, has stolen bees is a vile and dishonorable practice.
Ummmm... if a person shows himself to be dishonest.... until further evaluation over a certain length of time... I may choose to assume many things about them... as you would also sir.

We know that in some the first posts you made here, you said you had no bees.
NOT TRUE... I said I walked away from 80 hives in about 2007-08... just left them where they sat... 3 months ago I decide I want bees again and so I go collect what equipment I had... and of 80 hives.. there were 6 still alive after 5 years.... of those 6, I split 5 of them last week of january.... drones were already flying.... so will they make it?? Won't know 'till May, cuz currently I am at my "day job" just down the road from YOU.

We know that you showed up here shortly after your pal Ricky the convicted pedophile got out of prison.
WRONG again Mr. Beregondo... Ricky got out of prison I THINK the last year I was working with JN Russell... but I never talked to him much then... was still just there cuz I was working with JN. I was HERE starting I think 2005-06?? when I was working with JN and selling my OWN queens here also. NEVER a single complaint from a queen that I sold that I am aware of. I stopped visiting this forum about 2007..... until December 2012 when I decided I wanted bees again... that is also when I saw 20 pages on this forum about Robert.... so I decided I SHOULD shed light on what I knew or suspected. I know Ricky... have nothing against him.... but he is not my "pal" as you loosely claim. I have FEW pals.... and none that raise bees.

We know that shortly after that bees were stolen from Robert's property.
Yep... that is true.... but I am no more suspect than anyone else in Hinds county my fellow beek.... and YOU might not know, but "I" KNOW that when all the dirt settles.... you will have NO DOUBTS whatsoever that I had anything to do with those bees being stolen. I have already spoken with the law.... and they are welcome to check my property ANYTIME. But if anything gets "dumped" on my place anytime soon.... just to let you know I am in New York now... and I have PLENTY of witnesses who know there was no stolen crap at MY HOUSE before I left.

We know that more recently you mentioned the bees you now have.
Yep.... explained above....

It would be equally reasonable to suspect you, given your statements and associations.
NOT TRUE Beregondo.... would it be equally reasonable to suspect YOU if Robert is found guilty of complicity in all of this? You certainly have made it clear whose side you are on. I am not on ANYONE's side.... and the fact that I EVER mentioned Ricky is regretful... however, personally I trust him..... that YOU don't is understandable, but do not make judgement of ME because I do.

The proof of what bees are what is in their performance.
It doesn't matter what the bees are called.
In my original post about the moonbeams..... I was being sincere. I do not think that Robert was II anything... just my opinion. I am fairly certain Robert didn't get any kind of specialized training raising bees.... and fairly certain he had a basic laymen's knowledge about bees when his Father passed.... again... just my opinion. BUT you say they have specific chracteristics... and I believe you... and sincerely asked if anyone knew where these supposed moonbeams came from. Of course I, like Jim, am skeptical.... but if anyone can show me evidence to the contrary... I would certainly be intgerested in them... as would many others here I believe.

One shouldn't wrestle with a pig...if he does, he'll get dirty, and the pig will enjoy it.
From your posts in regards to my posting... and your PM's to me.... should I assume you are enjoying this?

But the dishonorable way you throw reasonable suspicion around as if "everybody knows" it to be a true and proven is vile.
There have been such as you who condemn me.... and I admit... I don't like people to suggest I am a liar, however... there are many MORE people who have thanked me for the information I put out 2 months ago.... and we see where it has all lead to NOW.
I maybe make a few insinuations.... but I think they are warranted in light of the circumstances... and yes considering I am ALSO suspect in all of this crap... REALLY makes me want to do a bit MORE insinuating. I am rather "unhappy" that my desire to try help some people understand has resulted in ME being suspect in theft... but in the end I know I will have my vindication.... You don't know that... YET... but you will.

I am not dishonorable Mr. Beregondo.... but you can think what you like.... I even considered trying to PROVE to YOU that I am not dishonorable by meeting you in person while I am up here in your neighborhood.... but, I think in light of everything would just be a big waste of both our time....
SO... I wish you a good beekeeping season.... now I have corrected what you have suggested....
Thanks again

#219 ·

I got 5 queens from RA not what I ordered, not one survived the winter. Ordered northern bees told by RA what to order. I had to e-mail several times to get my order, lots of phone calls, stamped on the package had a Missippi post mark. I wish I had been one of the lucky ones to get GOOD BEES. This was before anyone died and there had not been any bad weather. I complained to RA and on here I was told I did not know how to take care of bees. No I just didn't know how to take care of money.. BUY LOCAL Tony

#222 ·

mudlake, very similar to my queen experience. My order was eventually handed off to "Matthew-Nebraska after I requested a refund late in the season. This followed many attempts to contact. I had ordered Cordovans but all Matthew could supply were "Northern Sunkist." But I agreed to take them figuring I'd better take what I could get. He stated that they would be coming from his Nebraska Operations. Strangely though, the package was postmarked from Mississippi. 50% survival so far. Maybe not too bad for bees I got so late in the season. By not being Cordovan though, I have no idea what they really are. My question now is, has anyone ever met the real Matthew?
I got 5 queens from RA not what I ordered, not one survived the winter. Ordered northern bees told by RA what to order. I had to e-mail several times to get my order, lots of phone calls, stamped on the package had a Missippi post mark.

#221 ·

Camero7,

Whenever any person, even someone like Russell - whom, by the way I in no wise hold out as a man of good character...he himself acknowledged himself a liar… and that he accepted money for product not delivered being indisputable -- when *any* man is the subject of slurring attacks by way of insinuation concerning theft, etc. until there is some evidence to that *Additional* crime, to insinuate, or accuse him of it *is* dishonorable.

It is not Robert Russell being defended here.
It is honor, and honorable behavior, even toward someone who has behaved dishonestly and dishonorably.

In like manner Sippy, I’ve not accused you of stealing anything, but rather gave example of how easily one can believe something that may not be true.

There are innocent men –good men – whose business is harmed if moonbeam bees, for example, don’t have the traits claimed.
I have observed bees I bought (which are not regular MB, but am told were crossed w/ Alaskan bees) to fly in the dark, to fly when cold prevents my other bees, and to be aggressive toward mites.
While that doesn’t prove anything about MB, it does present evidence.

No matter whom I buy bees from, the only proof of the sellers claim that matters much is the bees performance in my yard.

I expect that before Joe C, Kale, or Jason sell any queens out of the bees they’ve got from Russell, they’ll prove them in their own yards.
(I know Kale isn't carrying them anymore at all b/c of association w/ Russell.)

I think it’s foolish to attack a product because the breeder’s character is flawed.

I expect to get a couple of Moonbeams (not crosses) this spring and will determine if they are as represented or not based not on imagination, or fear born of the breeder’s poor business practice, but based on their performance.

And I’ll refrain from comments born of suspicion (though granted, the suspicion is reasonable) and imagination until there is actual evidence that the lines are tainted or exaggerated.
To do otherwise isn’t just casting deserved doubt on Russell, but liable to damage the honest businessmen breeding from JN’s stock…which no one can say didn’t exist, only perhaps that he didn’t see them.

I encourage the lot of us to be circumspect and cautious not to be cheated by Russell, and not to damage these other (honest) men’s interests with speculation, but instead to wait for evidence [that the bees don't have the traits claimed] should there be any.

And if those lines of bees are fraudulent, there certainly will be.

The bees don’t lie.

#227 ·

Posting again to be sure someone looks into this.

Is Rob Hughes and Beehugheshoney the same person aka Robert Russell?

http://www.beesource.com/forums/memb...beehugheshoney

Too easy to create an allis on forums. Don't get fooled again folks. Just sayin'
Lauri, it is quite possible that Robert was using multiple screen names on this and other sites. I believe that Barry could look at the IP addresses to see if the registered user is posting from the same internet router or modem.
As for trying to say that I am Rob Hughes or Robert, I am sorry that you are mistaken. Please PM me and ill give you my phone Number so you can call me if you would like to verify my true existance. I am sure my NY accent would be out of place for someone that has lives in Vicksburg MS, as beehugheshoney claims he does.

#225 ·

Beregondo.... I believe my sentiment for Robert is very close to the majority of people here have.... maybe I am being too hard on him, but in MY mind... he has put a WHOLE new perspective to dishonest businessman. I knew some of his claims were lies but I had NO IDEA he would pretend to be different people straight to their face.

As for hurting the other businesses.... if you owned that business would you want to know the truth or just pretend as much as you can that it did not happen? If I sold you a pug and told you it was a pit bull.... would you really want to know??

I believe the subs will be the ones who have lost the most.... and I highly doubt that anyone of them knew any different than you or I. NY Blues was the first to step up.... and I highly commend that.... though personally I understand it may take some time for all the subs to be able to repay what Robert misrepresented or stole. I would not hesitate ONE SECOND to order from ANY of the subs today if I wanted bees... AND... if they do have any of Robert's stock... be it moonbeams, tigers, or venus star chasers or WHATEVER... Robert started out with some good stock.... and I am hoping I can get a few more of Russell's sunkists... whether it is from a sub or from Ricky. Whether any of Robert's lines of bees are indeed distinguishable from just a normal Italian.... I will leave that up to the individual who has them.... but honestly... you can't blame a few of us for making fun of them.

As for making insinuations about Robert.... well... I think he earned it... and maybe you think bad of me for doing it.... but I will live with that if I must. You are correct that in the end I think we will all see how this plays out and who is really WHO. I have ZERO doubts about anything I have said in the last 2 months. Had it just been a few white lies or exaggerations I would have laughed and not cared what he said or claimed..... but when I came back HERE and see 20 pages on this forum from so many people that got screwed THAT made me ANGRY. When I read someone saying they would never buy anything from a Russell.... that just made me more angry at Robert for what he has done to his daddy's reputation.

Beregondo.... we may never see eye to eye about some things.... I try to respect people even when they differ from my own opinion... try to remember that with me also. I did not CAUSE all of this to happen to Robert.... he did it to himself... and it started long before my first post about him was made here. In some way I do feel sorry for him..... but mostly for his dad. I was not some distant customer... I know pretty much all of the Russell clan and their friends... EXCEPT ROBERT... and you know why that is already.

I will say one more time here.... I would order and pay for bees from ANY of the RA subs.... I believe they were as in the dark as any of us were. I have ZERO DOUBTS about the integrity of any of the subs.... especially the ones who stepped up early to show their sincerity....

#226 ·

Is Rob Hghes and Beehugheshoney the sme person aka Robert Russell? Why do I see NYBlues now posting-who is registerd on Beesource as Beehugheshoney??? Check it out folks! What the heck??
http://www.beesource.com/forums/memb...beehugheshoney
I don't understand this statement. beehugheshoney's profile says he's 17 years a beek from MS whereas NYBlues' profile says he's 26 and from New York. So why do you think they are the same person? NYBlues is listed as a friend of beehugheshoney, but isn't that to be expected, since he was a sub for RA? It sounds like the subs got even more royally screwed than the ordinary customers, so why are you tarring him with the same brush? Do you have any proof he's not who he says he is? Otherwise, you need to back up and cool off a bit.

JMO

Rusty (who does not have a horse in this race)

#228 · (Edited)

Just a few red flags for me. Beehughshoney joined Beesource 5-17-12..right about the time the first Russell thread startd when people started to squeek about not getting their orders, no response from the company, etc etc.
He has only posted comments on the Russell posts.

Sorry NYBlues if I am out of line here, but some may feel you are guilty by association and I fear you have some big time identity proving to do.

NY-I'll PM you. I only want to see folks happy again and Beesource back on a postive note. I see after skimming through your long history of threads and posts you look totally legit. Got to check these days ya know...

#232 ·

Just a few red flags for me. Beehughshoney joined Beesource 5-17-12..right about the time the first Russell thread startd when people started to squeek about not getting their orders, no response from the company, etc etc.
He has only posted comments on the Russell posts.
Sorry NYBlues if I am out of line here, but some may feel you are guilty by association and I fear you have some identity proving to do.
Lauri, I understand your reluctance to believe that I am not Robert, Rob, or anyone else, other than me. I joined Beesource in May of 2009, well before any of the Russell alias'. I have worked for Brian McDonald, known on here as BMAC, and am working for him again this spring. Please take a moment, if you wish, and contact him and ask him if I am truly who I say I am.
I do believe that people feel that I am guilty by association. I have worked hard at trying to prove to folks that I am trustworthy. For starters, I did openly come out within a matter of minutes of finding out Robert Russell lied to everyone, and I condemned his actions. I stopped selling any bees that were associated to Russell Apiaries, and removed the Russell NY site. I have refunded all orders for queens that I had taken, and even though there were a number of folks that did not want their money back, but would rather have queens, I still sent them their money. I have fully withdrawn from the "Sub Producers program, and took a large financial hit. I cant change the past, or I would. I can only change what happens from today onward. If you dont trust me, thats fine, there are many folks that do. Actions speak louder than words, always. I realize that negative actions take longer to forget than positive ones. People may not remember anything about me other than I was associated with Robert Russell, and for that I am sorry. They may forget the public condemnation of his actions, the refunded orders, the withdrawl from the program.

#229 ·

Lauri... go back and read NY Blues extensive posts about refunds etc... if there were unhappy customers we will be seeing it here... but as of yet, to my knowledge there is no one complaining....
I do want to be clear that I have not and never have tried to force culpability for Robert's actions on the subs.... they got screwed the worst of all of us...FWIW

#230 ·

Let's hope it goes well for all concerned. I asked that the money I felt was due me for my incomplete order be donated to the local food bank. That still has never happened.

#234 ·

Has anyone figured out where the queens were coming from that were getting sent out? I will have to check my copy of Queen Rearing Essentials tomorrow, but I am pretty sure the photos in the back showing the Miska's (name?) operation show racks of cells with the name R. Russell as the customer to receive them. I may be way off base and there are likely other R Russell folks out there keeping bees but...?

#235 ·

It saddens me that we started out working together to expose wrong doings and now are starting to fight amongst ourselves. The longer the current discussion continues, the farther it will stray from what was once helpful and focused information. Not sure at this time there is more that needs to be said/discussed in regards to the thread title.

Let's not continue discussion about various bee strains. That is off topic to this thread.

#236 · (Edited)

I did go to NYBlues page and see he has a very long history of posts that address many different topics. Not like those few who create an allis to address their own messes.

My Appologies NY-you look a lot better after some checking. Just being real here. Those that got burned are understandably touchy. That may include you too. You seem to be handling the problem well. Hopefull it will all work out for all concerned.

#238 ·

I did go to NYBlues page and see he has a very long history of posts that address many different topics. Not like those few who create an allis to address their own messes.

My Appologies NY-you look a lot better after some checking. Just being real here. Those that got burned are understandably touchy.
No need to apologize, I understand your concern, it is well warranted, given the circumstances.

#243 ·

Previous sub-producers, I believe that most, if not all of you, were ripped off by RRussell the same as the smaller guys were ripped off. In the following words I'm not passing judgement or anything but rather want to mention a couple of things pertaining to "perception" that you might want to think about. This is just my perception and I may be the only person on this planet that has seen things this way, but...here it is anyhow. :)

One thing that always bugged me with the many Russell sub-producer websites that I checked out "back when" (and I checked out *several* of them) was that the only way to contact them was through a web form...I've just never liked sending money to a "web form", though. There were no email addresses offered, no physical addresses, and for the ones that I checked out I don't recall there being any owner names given. On some websites there would be pictorals of the local area or beeyards and might give a general location...but these read more like a flyer to attract tourists or something. I imagine that better contact information would have been given to me if I had placed an order...using PayPal at least some type of an email address would be given. But, for a business to not be upfront with this information caused me to wonder about the entire sub-producer thing, especially in light of the developing situation with Robert Russell.

Many of the sub-producer websites now appear to be down or either have statements distancing themselves from (Robert) Russell. Only one or two appear to have their old (pro-Russell) content still online...I think those are probably just from neglect. Some websites have reverted back to their old names and sites (good for them). Of the websites that have made changes but appear to be using the cookie-cutter web software I see only one that has good contact information to it...I applaud the Missouri producer. But, most of the "modified" websites (as of this morning) still only offer web forms for contacting them.

With the smoke and mirrors that apparently have been the norm for Robert Russell and his business it seems that businesses previously associated with them would strive to have greater transparency and distance themselves from any possible perception of having something to hide.

One other item is that If you were a sub-producer and you're still using the cookie-cutter software that came with the "franchise" be aware that visually the "web store" says RUSSELL very loudly. Those ribbons in the lower righthand corner of many of the item pictures reminds me greatly of Russell's web store. I would think that other businesses use the software with good results but if used in the bee business I think that at least in the near future it will bring up bad memories for many folks. I don't know if you really want to continue using it or not. Just thought I'd mention it.

I know I've made some jokes and jabs in the past about the situation in trying to add some levity to a somber situation, in it all I never intended to harm anyone and hope that I didn't. I wish all involved, from the single queen purchaser to the franchise owners, that in some way good will come out of this for you. My brother was a kidney transplant patient who went through over 10 years of dialysis, he was not a quitter, he was a fighter. Sometime back in the early eighties a (dentist) friend of ours came into the office one day with a rolled up poster in his hand. He proceeded to hop up on my brother's desk (which faced a wall), unroll the poster and tape it to the wall. It is a picture of a very rocky ocean shoreline, very treacherous water looking outward to the safe, open ocean. It has a caption below it.

A couple of years later my brother received a donor kidney that worked marvelously. After that he fathered two sons, something that his doctors did not think would happen. He was successful and lived life to the fullest. Two days after Christmas in 2001 my brother died in my arms at that desk. Massive heart attack. I don't think he had any regrets even though he caught a lot of crap in his life.

That poster has yellowed some and is getting brittle...but it's still hanging on that wall. Like many businesses, my business is hurting from the bad economy and I'm not sure what the future holds for it, but if per chance I leave this office that poster comes with me.

In life we get dealt things that aren't, or don't, seem fair. Sometimes those things are self-inflicted, other times other people inflict them on us. But it is what we're dealt. We are also dealt good things. Whichever the case is, it is up to us how we continue on with our life past these things.

As for my brother's poster it simply reads, "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

So...what are you seeing? What are your beekeeping goals? Sure, obstacles arise but do you stay focused on them or do you put your eyes back on the goals? Your choice...

Ed

#245 ·

Thanks Ed,
My brother now is in the hospital waiting for a liver & kidney transplant. In our family it is our faith that keeps us with our eyes on the "goal" of the high calling of Jesus. With all of these "soaps" and lifes adversities I am reminded of a seminar by a couple from Alabama with 2 statements that I repeat often. They are:

"What's in the well comes up in the bucket" and a little more definition
"People, things & situations do not make me what I am, they simply reveal who I am"

Charles H. Wilson

#246 ·

Intheswamp

My website had my full name, po box, a google map showing how to get to my house, my cell phone number (which some of the people with problems called and spoke to me), a picture of myself, my wife, and my kids, and my personal email address (hystad@hotmail.com). Even my screen name in every forum is my last name. I have always been an upstanding person as are the subproducers that I dealt with. I can see how some are skeptical but I would like to set the record straight on what my transparency was/is.

Tom Hystad

#247 ·

Several months ago Rob Hughes on another forum said that Robert Russell was sick (cancer or something) and asked for donations to buy him a gift. Some people pitched in and sent money to Rob Hughes to buy him a get well gift. Now that Robert Russell has admitted that he posed as Rob Hughes we all are wondering what Robert bought Robert with the donations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.