Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Robert Russell Apiaries - Update

204K views 407 replies 96 participants last post by  AstroBee 
#1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know some of the information that I discovered while trying to figure out who stole my hives. Robert Russell is running a big scam. He was going by the name Rob hughes on the phone and in person saying that rob hughes was Roberts employee and crew chief. He is very good at this and always referred to Robert as "Doc" in the third person. He even sent me PM's stating Rob was in Florida running their bees there and he was all over the country tending bees. I discovered this after the sheriffs office showed me a mug shot of Robert Russell and it was the same person I had been working with calling him self rob hughes. I personally do not believe he has more than a few hive and does not have all these different strains. Any strains he does have must of came from his fathers operation. The sheriff's office also told us he was charged in Philadelphia MS with taking someones money for bees and never delivering them. I believe most of the people working for him and running his "Russell apiaries family" sites also know all this. I would recommend anyone with orders with anyone associated with Robert Russell cancel them. The man is a dishonest crook. I speculate but have no proof that he was taking my bees all year long and selling them as nucs with phillip butts, one of his "employees"

#39 ·
Re: Robert Russell is a fraud

I purchased queens from Joseph last summer. These were out of Russells sunkist cordovan stock. These were sent via priority mail as per my request and arrived in bad shape as per the heat. I was able to 'nurse' them back alive [most the workers were dead] or should I say that I put fresh workers from my colonies and they nursed them back [the queens arrived lethargic and I didn't think they would make it]. Joseph has made good on queens shipped that arrived dead through no fault of his own but rather the post office failing to timely ship. Actually, these queens were for someone that I helped get into bees and he was making splits and using Joseph's queens [From Russell's stock]. During that time Joseph was not associated with Russell other than he had some of his sunkist stock that he was raising queens from. I occassionally read and check my private messages but seldom post anymore; but Joseph's name brought me out of the woodwork. Just saying that all my dealings with Joseph have been outstanding.

Kindest Regards
Danny Unger

#50 ·

Just waiting for Specialkayme to chime in or maybe apologize.
And apologize I shall.

I, like many others, met Rob Hughes, but never met or spoke with Robert Russell. I had no idea what was going on. I'm very sorry to those individuals that were harmed by the RA outfit. I'm very sorry to those individuals that I took opposite positions with on the topic of RA in the past. If Rob and Robert really are the same person, I feel sick to my stomach. If somehow they are not, there are still too many questions left unanswered (and unanswerable) to make things ok.

Individuals have still not received their refunds, despite multiple requests from those individuals (and requests by me) for RA to refund those monies. No one can get a complete understanding of where their yards are located, or in what states. I've asked RA to give me some type of evidence, any type, that what they are saying is accurate. RA is not a company that is registered with the MS Secretary of State. I was told they were in business decades ago. I asked for a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, but I received none. I asked for information on where Robert received his PhD from, but I received no such information. I asked for a copy of JN's will that gave him all the hives, since it is supposed to be public record, but I received no such copy.

When I went down to meet Robert, I was told the day before that he was called out of town on business, and I could meet Rob instead. Now I find out that is the same story that was given to every individual that went down to pick up bees and/or equipment. Again, I'm so sorry. I had no idea.

I also apologize for not speaking up sooner. I had limited access to the CR forums, so wasn't able to say anything sooner.

My deepest and sincerest apologies to all individuals who were wronged, cheated, and/or deceived. My even greater apologies for being involved in the matter, and being unable to see the truth before defending RA. For what it's worth, I still have an outstanding order with RA that was not fulfilled in 2012. A few hundred dollars.

I hope some of you can forgive me.

#41 · (Edited)

Are you all aware that there is in fact a Rob Hughes, Jr and a Rob Hughes Sr living in Brandon, MS?

Can't imagine in a place that size that there'd be too many extras...Rob Hughes definitely exists as a separate person apart from the person of Russell, and is not a fictional person.

Even given the stellar reputation that rural southern police have for being corruption free... have you considered the possibility that Los Angeles and NYC aren't the only places where law enforcement officials might give a guy less than accurate information? (whether by error or intent?)

#44 ·

Having purchased both from NY_BLUES at Russell Apiaries NY & Jason Varner at RA/Pennsylvania last year, I can say that both the queens and service I got from both of them were excellent.

I've already purchased a nuc this year from NY_BLUES and will be getting a couple of Moonbeam queens from Jason in PA.

I recommend both of them frequently to my friends.

#86 · (Edited)

And you know this how? A google search doesn't bring them up
I didn’t use google.
But it only took a few minute online to determine this.
I expect one could get the same result by going old school and using a phone book

Have you meet both of these "individuals"?
Nope, I haven't meet either of them.
Nor have I met you.

It doesn't take a face to face for a reasonable person to determine someone exists.

In this case, a phone directory search established that the local phone vendor provides landline service to Rob Hughes, Jr & Rob Hughes, Sr of Brandon, MS.
I did a phone directory search for the names.

#52 ·

So what are the queens called "Sunkist" "moonbeam" etc?
Deknow
Havent even thought about that before now. How as a sub producer could you advertise in good faith having a particular brand or breed with particular traits when so far everything about the parent operation has been nothing but smoke and mirrors. (yeah, Im good at run on sentences) .

#48 ·

Kind of curious if the sub producers are trying to find out any of these inner dealings?? Who were they dealing with? What do they know?? No wonder other than NY Blues they're all quiet..

From the RA site, where most of the sub producers are members and posters, PDGHoney looks to be the overseer of this program that MTINAZ was in with hives on a flow year round. If you check out the PDGHoney store with photobucket, many of the photos were posted by supposedly Dr. Robert Russell showing his mating yards years ago on this site. Hopefully, someone is able to hold them accountable.

#49 ·

One wonders if PDGHoney, Rob Hughes and Robert Russell are the same person.

So what are the queens called "Sunkist" "moonbeam" etc?
I got Carni's and Caucasians from him. Couldn't see much difference and they all sucked and/or died/disappeared. I had some Moonbeams on order, which I'm sure I'll never see. Really makes me wonder what these "sub-producers" are selling. Lots of claims but little substance as far as I've seen.

#51 ·

Very nicely said speck. I think it's important not to dwell anymore about who said what in the past but as a group to try to learn from this experience. I think we were all taken in to varying degrees. I have my own regrets for not having been a little more persistent about airing my doubts based on what I had learned talking to others. I knew that some real "whoppers" were being told but I had no idea of the scope of what was going on.

#53 ·

Below is a portion of the reply I got from Robert when I made the post on his site.

Robert Russell replied to your message on Russell Apiaries

--------------------
Subject: hive update

Caffery email... Hey Clinton,

Glad to hear that you guys had a safe trip... I want to apologize to you for hiding my identity as Rob Hughes when meeting with you and your father... on the forums it had gotten too hard for me to even make small posts without getting bombarded by questions about my opinions and methods, and in person I was having troubles with people asking for me to give them things for free and to talking bees for much longer than I had time for...
--------------------

To reply to this message, follow the link below:
http://russellapiaries.webs.com

#56 ·

The frightening thing about this to me, is "he/they" obviously have had this scam working successfully for awhile. If he'd/they honored a few more requests and refunds there's no doubt in my mind I would have let it go. Continued to give them the benefit of the doubt also. But at some point they RA, Rob Hughes, Robbert Russell, RDGHoney, got a little greedy and saw their "practice" was working satisfactorily for them so why honor anymore requests for refunds than absolutely necessary. They had enough supporters on these sites to keep the detractors at bay. Also enough new beekeepers that didn't have a clue and willingly sent their dollars. Scary to be so totally scammed!

Thanks SpecialK, appreciate your experiences and your honesty.

P.S. Where's Twinkle Bee when we need her?

#59 ·

.....there were reports that queens from Russell were bred to have noticeable excess of queen pheromone.......were they simply sprayed with the stuff, or were they really bred for that trait?
Deknow

#60 ·

Another note: Just for clarification there is a member that apparently goes by his real name of Rob Hughes, as near as I can tell he shares no connection whatsoever with any of these folks or this situation. The alias' that RR were posting under were beehugheshoney and TwinkieBee

#63 ·

Another note: Just for clarification there is a member that apparently goes by his real name of Rob Hughes, as near as I can tell he shares no connection whatsoever with any of these folks or this situation. The alias' that RR were posting under were beehugheshoney and TwinkieBee
another quote, supposedly from Robert Russell
I want to apologize to you for hiding my identity as Rob Hughes when meeting with you and your father

#66 ·

As far as queen strains go, i do believe that we are offering genuinely good queens, we sub producers i mean. I didnt offer to raise and sell some of Russell's more exotic strains, but stuck to the Sunkist Italian, and buckfast. It is not hard to think that these queen types would have the claimed genes that were said that were in them, as there are multiple queen breeders that offer buckfast, such as miksa and ferguson, and there have been multiple advertisments by multiple people, offering the sunkist line, that is really a product of JN Russell. If robert got JN's hives, then he must have gotten JN's genetic lines also. This is speculation on my part, as i have never seen their operation.
This is why i have offered a refund to anyone that purchased queens from me, as Russell Apiaries NY,for this coming spring, as i do want to raise queens and offer them for sale, and i dont want to add bad blood from such a terrible issue as this.
specialkayme, i applaude you, it takes a lot for anyone to say that they were wrong, but you also went above and beyond to find out about RA, thank you

#67 ·

NY Blues - Kudo's for you for stepping up to the plate and taking responsiblity - it says alot about the kind of person/business person you are as opposed to remaining silent

Sippy - Taking everyting into account - including your friendship with Ricky - your're golden with me! Perhaps much of your issue was the passion attached to your posts which I now look at as trying prevent further damage. Clearly running 11 hives there is no commercial gain here for you in the near future.

Mtinaz - What you have told us about the investigation sound like good follow through and I think one way or another RR may end up in hot water up to his neck and those around him who have knowledge will be singing like birds to avoid possible prosecution. In any crime where there is more than one person with knowledge, as obviously stealing your hives was, there will be a weak link in the chain and I suspect The Sheriffs Dept. will find and exploit that link. keep us posted.

#71 · (Edited)

NY Blues - Kudo's for you for stepping up to the plate and taking responsiblity - it says alot about the kind of person/business person you are as opposed to remaining silent

Sippy - Taking everyting into account - snip- your're golden with me! -snip-

Mtinaz - What you have told us about the investigation sound like good follow through and I think one way or another RR may end up in hot water up to his neck and those around him who have knowledge will be singing like birds to avoid possible prosecution. -snip-
Good summary Joel, to which I would add a suggestion that Barry add a new forum listing bad actors in the bee business, actors to avoid if you want to deal with reputable vendors. Also for Barry, consider going to and change Rob Hughes's name to something like: The good Rob Hughes. :)

ADDED: A feedback forum like this might help the board in the future. I'm a moderator on the board at that link. The feedback forum is a lion on a leash, but can work for the good of the membership. :)

#69 ·

All I can say is that I'm so glad that I dodged this bullet. I was one of the first to start talking with RR about becoming a "sub-producer". We carried out these discussions long before the term "sub-producer" was even considered. We had lengthy PM's about the intricate measures that he required to become part of the family. It all seemed very convoluted and I even bounced it off our state apiarist, who issued a "proceed with caution" note to me. One of the last communications (came through as Robert Hughes) was an invitation to become a sub-producer and the requirement of over $3000 to join the "club". With all the complaints coupled with "cloak and mirror" nonsense discussed in our PM's I decided that there were other avenues to queen rearing.

He sure seemed real.... I guess this is why so many gotten taken. A colleague from one of our local clubs got taken based upon my recommendation. I plan to make it right with that man this season by providing replacement queens free of charge.

#72 ·

I'm still finding it hard to reconcile why my order was received and so many others were taken. RR's 'method' in this fiasco seems to have little rhyme or reason and I feel so sorry for those who were taken for much larger amounts of money than I had personally risked.

I can't seem to find my last post on this in the Russell thread, but to reiterate my experience I ordered a single queen last spring to replace a bad queen in a package I had received. Queen was delayed in the MS post office for 3 days in the heat and did not lay for 3 weeks. After an email to 'victoria' RR sent another queen at no charge overnight USPS. I started the first queen on a nuc who started laying shortly thereafter (banked queen or just the heat?) and both hives did fairly well over the summer seem to be still alive (although it is still too cold here to do a full inspection). Had I thought my money was at risk or any shady business was occurring I would have ordered elsewhere. I can't figure out why he would fulfill mine and send a replacement at his cost yet take so many other's money without so much as a response. It's sad and infuriating.

I just looked through some of my correspondence with 'Victoria' last spring and saw a message that might help some of you out. I had told her I appreciated them sending a replacement queen so quickly, and asked where I could send a thank you card.

I will pass that msg along. If you'd like you can send a card to 212 Fannin Landing Cir. Brandon MS 39047. I basically eat, sleep, and live work lately. Lol. Thank you for the kind words and I hope you enjoy your queens.
Victoria Ball
Russell Apiaries
www.russellapiaries.com
In any case, I'm not sure if that address had been posted earlier but if not maybe it might help someone out. Good luck to you all who have lost their hard earned dollars. You have my sympathies and you've been nicer about it than I would have been.

#76 ·

212 Fannin Landing Cir. Brandon MS 39047. I basically eat, sleep, and live work lately. Lol. Thank you for the kind words and I hope you enjoy your queens.
Victoria Ball
You'll notice on Google that there is no Victoria Ball in Brandon. There are 3 Victoria Ball's in MS and the closest one to this address is over 100 miles away in Louisville! That would be one daily commute, wouldn't it!

#75 ·

Thank you, “jim lyon” for your comment on #51 “but as a group to try to learn from this experience." Several months ago waynesgarden's #206 post on “FOULBROOD IN APIARY…..” stated “I read the post by MSBEEINSPECTOR and, after unecessary preaching”. With that I hesitate to say much, except as Sean Hannity says "TRUST, BUT VERIFY". What I will say at this point, has to do with any individual on this forum doing what is so easy. During the AFB issue I did a simple "word & phrase" search on goggle. Russell's long oration on the bacteria that he claimed he was going to teach everyone "I will first explain the bacteria", was in fact a word for word copy & paste of (MediaWiki:Copyright), and two pages from © 2011 Kenneth Todar, PhD. Sometimes a soap box built on someone else's information may crumble under your weigh.

#77 ·

Russell's long oration on the bacteria that he claimed he was going to teach everyone "I will first explain the bacteria", was in fact a word for word copy & paste of (MediaWiki:Copyright), and two pages from © 2011 Kenneth Todar, PhD.
Oh my! I remember that thread well and it was one of the things that started to convince me that RR really knew his stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.