Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Robert Russell Apiaries - Update

204K views 407 replies 96 participants last post by  AstroBee 
#1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know some of the information that I discovered while trying to figure out who stole my hives. Robert Russell is running a big scam. He was going by the name Rob hughes on the phone and in person saying that rob hughes was Roberts employee and crew chief. He is very good at this and always referred to Robert as "Doc" in the third person. He even sent me PM's stating Rob was in Florida running their bees there and he was all over the country tending bees. I discovered this after the sheriffs office showed me a mug shot of Robert Russell and it was the same person I had been working with calling him self rob hughes. I personally do not believe he has more than a few hive and does not have all these different strains. Any strains he does have must of came from his fathers operation. The sheriff's office also told us he was charged in Philadelphia MS with taking someones money for bees and never delivering them. I believe most of the people working for him and running his "Russell apiaries family" sites also know all this. I would recommend anyone with orders with anyone associated with Robert Russell cancel them. The man is a dishonest crook. I speculate but have no proof that he was taking my bees all year long and selling them as nucs with phillip butts, one of his "employees"

#78 ·
Re: Robert Russell is a fraud

Dare I even ask if anyone ever corroborated the story about the tragic vehicle death of two employees that supposedly set production back considerably? Maybe I dont want to know that answer to that one.

#79 ·

This from the Russell website today:

"Holdover/Transfer orders and Cancellations

Due to the many struggles that we have faced during the 2012 season with the storm damages, the traggic loss of vital members of our crews, a large turn over of office staff, and the discovery of major health issues of our administration, there were significant breaks in our abilities to communicate with our customers. As a result, a small amount orders were not shipped. While the majority of the customers that were effected by this have rescheduled their deliveries to spring of 2013, you are welcome to request that we cancel your order instead if you would prefer. To have your 2012 order shipped in 2013 by the main company, shipped by your Local Russell Apiaries location, or request a cancellation, please send an email to russelltransfers@yahoo.com "

perhaps it is old news?

I also noticed that they are WAY down in the number of breeds they profess to produce. Only 7 - a couple variations on Sunkist, Carniolan, Italian/Carniolan, and "Tiger" and "Pollinator"

where are the Moonbeams, Russians, etc.?

#89 ·

Sorry MTINAZ... just gonna add a little more info that people are speculating about
JN Russell had ONE race of bee he sold. He sold "Sunkist Italian" bees.. they were specifically bred and maintained the recessive cordovan color.... he often called them orange heads. Where the other 11 races of bees that are sold through RA came from... your guess is as good as any. JN Russell had an EXCELLENT Italian bee... and many people knew him and his bees.

There is a Robert Russell.... a REAL Rob Hughes Jr... a REAL Phillip Butts... a REAL Rob Hughes Sr..... Robert, Rob Hughes, and Phillip Butts are all in the same age group... went to school together.... hung out together... were tight, so to speak. WHO knew WHAT,WHEN and HOW I think will be determined in time. But if Robert was using Rob Hughes as an alias... is hard to believe that the REAL Rob Hughes did not know about it.

Someone told me that Hughes Sr. was a beekeeper over outside of Edwards MS on Hwy 22... Edwards, Learned, Raymond, Bolton, Vicksburg.. are all relatively near to each other. JN Russell lived in Bolton.. and THAT has always been Russell Apiaries until his death. Ricky now lives in his Dad's house.... I live outside Raymond... about 7 miles from JN Russell's place.

My personal opinion after talking to many people who know Robert ( as everyone here knows I have never seen or met Robert ), is that Robert did not SET OUT to defraud anyone.... however... when things did not go as well as planned and he came up short.... well.. the money was already in his pocket, and HIS needs outweighed YOUR needs. His exaggerated claims I think were just supposed to help him get more business.... and maybe make him feel bigger than life.... BUT, you can only sell what bees you can raise. So as he started getting behind.... someone had to pay.... that was the customers who got nothing. I don't think he ever raised any bees/queens seriously until after his Dad died, and with little experience it got the better of him. I know for a fact it is not an easy task to raise 100's of queens a week for a whole season consistently. I believe I could do it... because I was part of JN's team that did it.... and I watched and learned as I did it. I do not think I could READ about it here and be able to do it though.
I also believe he could have sold just as many bees if he just claimed to have a good bee and raised them consistently.... no need for smoke and mirrors. His Father never did it.... so why did HE need to do it?

Robert has truly dug himself into a serious hole.... maybe you can pity his wife and 3 kids if nothing else. I honestly hope he straightens it all out... cuz I KNOW he has some good stock if they are still living. As they say " What a tangled web we weave.... "
I know his father liked to brag a bit... that is normal in Queen breeders I think... but his father would NEVER have agreed to such blatant stretches of the truth.

Personally... don't ever lie to me... I do not care about your intentions or motives or anything else.... I will not lie to YOU, and I DEMAND that same respect from anyone I deal with. That is never negotiable.
I feel just a bit of shame from my whole association with the whole mess.... but we all have a mentor that got us interested in Bees... for ME that was JN Russell. I also recently remembered one of the bigger guys who bought queens from JN that I met before... anyone here know a "Hanson Honey" in Illinois or Indiana... ?? One of those "I" states somewhere in the middle.. :) HE can tell you about Russell Apiaries also.... the REAL Russell Apiaries.

Maybe my timing was bad when I started all of this.... but I did not CHOOSE when I got interested in bees again... I did not know all that was happening before I got back on this forum. You can ask Barry... I was last here in 2007.... had to get the moderators to reset my password since my email had changed in the last 5 years,,, because I wanted to keep my original login name.
My address and phone is open to the public.... I have not and will not hide from anyone.... and I will go a long way to try to build your trust in me if it is possible.

#95 ·

My personal opinion after talking to many people who know Robert ( as everyone here knows I have never seen or met Robert ), is that Robert did not SET OUT to defraud anyone.... however... when things did not go as well as planned and he came up short.... well.. the money was already in his pocket, and HIS needs outweighed YOUR needs. His exaggerated claims I think were just supposed to help him get more business.... and maybe make him feel bigger than life.... BUT, you can only sell what bees you can raise. So as he started getting behind.... someone had to pay.... that was the customers who got nothing. I don't think he ever raised any bees/queens seriously until after his Dad died, and with little experience it got the better of him

This is also my personal opinon.

#96 · (Edited)

Boy am I confused! We ordered 12 nucs last winter. After several emails and persistent badgering, we forced the issue and finally got the go-ahead to pick up our nucs. We drove to the Branden MS address. Rob met us at the apiary, which was a house with equipment scattered about. Rob was a young man (late 20's). About 5'11". He was polite and seemed knowledgeable. We drove out to several fields and picked out our nucs after going through some that had recently swarmed. He checked every nuc for a queen. Loaded up my truck and drove all night back home. We toured his shop where he grafted queens. Other than the house, it seemed legitimate. I am not defending anyone but this seems too surreal.

#97 ·

Boy am I confused! We ordered 12 nucs last winter. After several emails and persistent badgering, we forced the issue and finally got the go-ahead to pick up our nucs. We drove to the Branden MS address. Rob met us at the apiary, which was a house with equipment scattered about. Rob was a young man (late 20's). About 5'11". He was polite and seemed knowledgeable. We drove out to several fields and picked out our nucs after going through some that had recently swarmed. He checked every nuc for a queen. Loaded up my truck and drove all night back home. We toured his shop where he grafted queens. Other than the house, it seemed legitimate. I am not defending anyone but this seems too surreal.
Rob was always helpful if there was a problem with a queen. One time they sent me a breeder as a replacement for a failed Tiger. I was more than refunded my money on misunderstandings in doing business with RA. I'm just sad it had to end this way. Robert get well soon.
Guy

#98 ·

Sippy, I think at one time I questioned your motives and I am sorry about that. My experience was that Russell was very helpful at first, and then hard to get ahold of, no deliverables - probably getting in over his head by then. I was dumb for prepaying like that. Live and learn unfortunately.

My two transactions with the nebraska and PA subs were great though. Quickly delivered and otherwise would get their bees again.

#99 · (Edited)

This whole scam is absolutely terrible. I am whole heartedly sorry that i even put myself in a position to be exploited, and worse off, see others get exploited as well. There are many people effected by this one mans actions. We all bought into what we thought was a stellar operation, a very knowledgable person, and great bee genetics. Instead, what we got were late or no existant queens and bees, and many headaches. There were those that defended RA, because of great customer service and good queens, and those that warned of problems with RA early on. Now i am left wondering why so many people couldnt see what was happening, myself included in that. I am ashamed that i didnt figure robert out sooner. I can only tell those effected that no one in the sub producers group was in on any scam, we were all suckered like everyone else. We were fed lie after lie and its now come down to this. One man created this huge mess, and many folks have lost something, mostly our hard earned money.

#100 ·

I will not buy from any of his guy's due to the fact of the mess that has been going on half of these guys are selling more of their own stock then russells. I wanted to buy a breeder caucasian queen from one of his guys and all this guy could tell me was he did not know when he would get any so that tells me not to bother. I got one of his queens and she did good but what if i wanted more can not rely on Russell and his group sad case there are others out there that has good queens and worth the cost but these guys make it bad for others. If anyone can get a breeder queen caucasian let me know i would then think on it i am looking.Now don't get me wrong maybe there is some that are doing what is right but times is hard and good people do not have money too waste and many want good queens this whole thing has been a night mare just plan sad.

Thomas

#101 ·

I will not buy from any of his guy's due to the fact of the mess that has been going on half of these guys are selling more of their own stock then russells...Thomas
Thomas, I wouldnt worry about buying russell genetics from any of the sub producers, i dont think any of us are going to be associated with this man anymore. I am not, that is a fact. I will be fulfilling orders that have already been placed, or refund the at the customers descretion, and i will be concentrating on my own bees and queens.

#102 ·

Well i am not trying too be mean but if you had spent money like the rest here you would want your bees and plus that if you did not get your bees then you want your hard earned money back it's only fair. I think i had talked with you before about getting some caucasians if you can get some for yourself you better while you still can and if you do let me know that way you can raise your own queens from them too sell and if you did let me know.

Thomas

#103 ·

Thomas,
I do know how people here feel, as I am out a hefty sum of cash also. Please dont think that I am trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, I have lost in this scam too. I just wish i would have researched everything closer when the sub producers group started, then i wouldnt be out as much money.

#105 ·

He tried to get me to buy a sub-producer license for $3000, plus cost of cells and shipping. Is that what you are into or worse? A sucker is born every day and I helped keep up the average.! It just didn't ring true after I had scrambled to find queens for splits I needed to make that were never going to come. The aggravation was worse than the loss of money.

Thomas,
I do know how people here feel, as I am out a hefty sum of cash also. Please dont think that I am trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, I have lost in this scam too. I just wish i would have researched everything closer when the sub producers group started, then i wouldnt be out as much money.

#104 ·

WOW!!

I can hardly believe I lucked out by being my usual (Day Late and a Dollar Short).

Sure loved the story of all that family bee business history.

Moonbeams aren't real huh?

Thought for sure I got someones Moonbeam cross with a Cordovan in a well paid cutout, late summer.

All the charactoristics, love'm, small cluster but still alive as of 54 degree day Monday.

Foragers still returning 40 minutes after sunset.

Guess I'll just stick with the locals.

Goodluck everyone.

#107 ·

Vance and Urban- You were atleast wise enough not to get involved. I am not out $3000 bucks, but i am out quite a bit, but I wont air my financial information on a public forum. I believe that there could be some legal recourse, but I am still weighing my options at this point, as are many of the sub producers. I have spoke to many of them in the last 24 hours, and it seems most of us are out money, which would add up to a nice amount for anyone. I have politely asked Mr. Russell to refund all monies owed to everyone, but I am not holding my breathe, as he hasnt refunded many folks money.

I have taken down the Russell NY site, and I sent an email to all members of that site, explaining what was going on, politely, and assured them that I will be fulfilling orders or refunding money, at their descretion. It is sad though, many folks bought into what Robert said, I think that it was because his father was a respected bee breeder that many knew.
Vance, when you said that there is a sucker born every day, I must have taken up a whole months worth.

#109 ·

Lee,

Every post that I have ever made here, or on any other public forum has been, and always be, the truth. I am not looking for sympathy, justice, or respect, I am just looking to advise people as to what has happened, and what I am going to do about the situation that I find myself in. I produced and sold queens prior to associating with RA, and I will continue to produce and sell queens and nucs now. Many folks here raised the warning flags months ago, and I failed to heed such warnings, so my current predicament is that of my own making. Yes, I took a calculated risk when I associated myself with RA, and the risk failed to pay off. I didnt ship any hives to Russells in MS, or anywhere else, so I am not out hives, and I can make back, what I lost moneywise, with some hard work and selling a few pallets of hives. I am just saddened that many folks trusted me with their business and I allowed something like this to take place. I can only work on what I can change, and the past cant be changed, but the future can. I can only hope that the folks of the beekeeping world keep an eye open, and not allow something as terrible as this to ever get to this point again.

#110 ·

I have begun to issue refunds to all those that purchased queens from Russell Apiaries NY. All refunds will be completed within a few days. If you purchased using paypal, I will be refunding thru paypal. If you purchased using a check, I will be issuing via check. I can not produce these queens with Russell names in good faith, knowing that he scammed so many. To all here, please accept my apology for not figuring Robert out sooner. We all could have saved ourselves something.

#111 ·

Wow NY Blues, I'm really impressed and I'm sure you will more than make up any of your losses by taking this higher road. Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm has a much better ring to it than RA New York!! Way to step up!

I understand that the dust isn't even close to settling in this, but when you get a chance, and alll the ramifications are behind you, would you mind sharing if indeed there is a Robert Russell, and or a Rob Hughes so we can also understand who, what, where etc.... To the outside it would appear that it was just one individual who was involved in this who used a variety of names depending on the situation? Make that one individual with a sidekick or two managing the nectar flow program!

Good luck, and again you're to be commended!

#112 ·

I couldn't agree more with brandy. NY_blues is a stand up, honorable guy! This is the kind of behavior we should have been seeing from Russell when he couldn't deliver all those orders.

When you get your operation going again, let me know and i will buy some queens from you!

#244 ·

I couldn't agree more with brandy. NY_blues is a stand up, honorable guy! This is the kind of behavior we should have been seeing from Russell when he couldn't deliver all those orders.

When you get your operation going again, let me know and i will buy some queens from you!
Yes he is a standup guy. I have worked and will work again with him.

#113 ·

With all this drama, I want to write a book about the "Dr. FrankenRussellstein Madoff" monster. He made the image of a man that was successful, honorable, knowledgeable to the point lots of us believe his bull***** and invested in his ****
It is really worth a movie; even if the ticket has cost me hundreds of dollars.

#115 ·

I just recently saw a mug shot of an individual the Mississippi Correctional System has labeled "Robert Lee Russell" of Brandon, MS. The person that face belongs to is the one that shook my hand, and my wife's hand, and said he was "Rob Hughes."

If you had any doubts as to the accuracy of what the Sheriff told MTINAZ, you shouldn't anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.