Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Robert Russell Apiaries - Update

204K views 407 replies 96 participants last post by  AstroBee 
#1 ·
I wanted to let everyone know some of the information that I discovered while trying to figure out who stole my hives. Robert Russell is running a big scam. He was going by the name Rob hughes on the phone and in person saying that rob hughes was Roberts employee and crew chief. He is very good at this and always referred to Robert as "Doc" in the third person. He even sent me PM's stating Rob was in Florida running their bees there and he was all over the country tending bees. I discovered this after the sheriffs office showed me a mug shot of Robert Russell and it was the same person I had been working with calling him self rob hughes. I personally do not believe he has more than a few hive and does not have all these different strains. Any strains he does have must of came from his fathers operation. The sheriff's office also told us he was charged in Philadelphia MS with taking someones money for bees and never delivering them. I believe most of the people working for him and running his "Russell apiaries family" sites also know all this. I would recommend anyone with orders with anyone associated with Robert Russell cancel them. The man is a dishonest crook. I speculate but have no proof that he was taking my bees all year long and selling them as nucs with phillip butts, one of his "employees"

#364 ·
Re: Robert Russell is a fraud

I would trust more Uncle Sam than "El Señor Doctor Russellio"
From what I now know of Russel it's about the same IMHO. I wouldn't trust either. I do TRULY hope that things work out for you all!!! I am thankful though that I found this thread. I was going to order from him possibly this spring / summer. I read a thread that possibly his father posted and there's some great info on queens. Here's the post for anyone that's interested. . .
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?259410-Moving-from-ok-queens-to-great-queens

So I am truly sorry for all of you that have lost and hope you get some remuneration, but I also thank-you for talking about it and hopefully helping many others not to get in trouble.

#368 ·

Quick question for you all. . . It was pointed out to me that in the thread in my post above that this is the same guy that we are all talking about. (rrussell6870) So my question is regarding his dad. Is he still alive and on Beesource? I have several other questions, but perhaps it's not my place to ask. Questions just out of curiosity.

#369 ·

Ask away if you wish or pm someone if you feel better about it. The fellow we are talking about is the son. Daddy developed Sunkist and I believe Moonbeam. He was very well respected and from all accounts treated his customers well. That is one of the reasons this mess got so out of hand, everyone thought nothing would change at Russel Apiaries.

#370 ·

Delber, all the posting on this forum was by Robert Russell, the person being described here. His Father passed away in the Fall of 2011 I think.

Johnny

#371 ·

SippyBees said "... I think many of us here would like to know what convinced people... "

This is just my 2 cent's so take it for whats its worth.

>>Was it his father's reputation?

Yes and no, it was more the idea that he was trying to fullfill his fathers dream. Though not directly said I got that impression when reading through the website.

>>The fancy website?

No, to me it was a cookie cutter website. Are bee breeding websites suppose to be UNfancy? It is really cheap and easy to hire someone to design a nice looking website. Offer free pizza and a few bucks to the local computer wiz kid and in a weekend you got a decent looking site.

>>His knowledge on the forums?

Yes, but not so much the knowledge but the view he expressed towards other peoples ideas. He never seemed to put down anyone else's ideas or say his way was best. The advice given was not in the form of 'do this or else' but was more 'I do this because...' This openess with information and the friendly way it was given, not only by RA but many others on the RA forums, is the main factor that "convinced" me.

>>The 12 exotic races of bees?

I was only really interested in the SK line and pollinators. But it wasn't the traits or claims it was more of the precieved connection to pollination/migratory beek's that made me interested in those. The belief that people that make a living from beekeeping use those must mean they are good. The only trait that really caught my attention was the cordovian (sp?) color queen that gave normal looking workers. Being able to spot the queen easy sounded like a blessing. The rest was just icing so to say.

Kind ties into what I said above but, the idea that I now have access to something that only the deep pocket comercial guys could get before, made me feel a bit more on par with the commercial guys. Though this probly comes from the really bad experiance I had with commercial beeks locally.

Also, On a side note... before reading this thread I dropped a note to RA yesterday about a swarm I got from a 30 year old ferrel hive. Today I got a call from one of the sub's they want to come get the hive tomarrow. So some one is at the switch over there still. Before you ask, yes I'm giving them the hive. They have a real good reputation with the local clubs and was really helpful to me with advice and local contacts. Besides that I said I would therefor I will.

Paul

PS If anyone wants a refund on my 2 cents send me a self addressed stamped envelope I'll be happy to send it to you (Mexican peso may be substituted) :D

#380 ·
Thank you guys for the information. In light of what is going on I sent an email cancelling my holdover and requesting a refund. I got a response saying they were investigating my claim and would get back with me. It irks me that he lied about who he was right to my face.

#381 · (Edited)
Hmmmm. Interesting read. I was in the process of putting in an order for sk queens and something happened with one of my young children so I didn't get a chance to for several days. By then all hell was breaking loose and I backed out. Seems I dodged a bullet. edit: darn shame. I still dream of such a bee as the sk/skc was touted to be.

Edi

#382 ·
I had ordered one nuc in 2011, never received it and never heard back from my many inquires to RA. Now I have received a letter from a bankruptcy service that noted that I do not have the right to demand reimbursement from Russell Apiaries. I thought you folks may be interested in this news.

#383 ·
He's filed for bankruptcy, which puts him under the protection of the bankruptcy court. Which is to say that you get in line with the rest of the people he owes money to. The courts will decide who--if anyone--gets paid. That always seems to mean that the banks get theirs first (if there is anything to "get") and everyone else gets to whistle "Dixie"!

Rusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.