Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stolen Bees

Default Re: Stolen Bees

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What sorts of contractural agreements are there between beekeeper and almond grower as to the security of hives in the groves?
    Do any of you almond pollinators have contracts covering hive loss due to theft?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    I think that rule #1 sould be that stolen hive threads could only be started in 1st person.
    If the individual is not a member of Beesource, then they would need to sign up and post about stolen hives in there own words.
    That qualifies as obvious consent and assigns fault for any accuracy problems.
    Full contact information should also be posted.
    Just put it all right out in plain sight, up front to show that they are earnest.
    I agree Harry. This is how the For Sale forum works now. Posters have to be members and when they purchase their subscription, I receive name and address from PayPal, so there is no longer anonymity. Too much of that going on as seen in some of the other threads.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Do any of you almond pollinators have contracts covering hive loss due to theft?

I talked to a guy just outside of bakersfield who said that there used to be an agreement between beekeepers there who would donate a dollar a hive into a fund that would cover theft losses, but it got to be so big they decided to not do it anymore. I couldn't understand why it wasn't just donated or refunded after the fact. Theft , beside non-payment , is my biggest worry up there. Recently I decided to go with a different broker on the dinks because of this. I know gps is becoming a reality but the only ones I saw would either text you if they were being moved or you would be able to find them if you could get within 1500 feet of where they were taken too. To me its kind of impractical. Where are they gps trackers?

I don't know as a grower about covering theft. The beek should have insurance to cover losses like that I would assume. I would think it would be too tempting and people would make their own hives disapear to another grower and cry theft at the original one.....

What about a Brand registry I know that it wont help with the thefts that have already taken place but it might help if everyone is aware of the brands that are out there and who owns them

What about branded equipment that is sold? That's always been the problem w/ branded equipment. And what about the branded equipment I bought from someone who bought it from someone else?

Have a never sell branded equipment policy?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Have a never sell branded equipment policy?[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed. Best policy ever.

To back it up I am currently trying to develop a RFID system for nearly every new piece that goes in the outfit. It does costs to do this. Getting less expensive every day. One of the best benefits is that with current RFID chips a system of Item Level Taggng is possible which could Identify every single frame through a unique identifying number if one chooses to "chip" at that level. Although this could be a deterrent to theft and improve recovery efforts I am hoping to use RFID for tracking everything from genetics to hive losses by yard, movements, and just about everything that can be measured through use of identification numbers.

Found this on yahoo... The words might scare em away.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/from_ba...nd/6907281725/

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Have a never sell branded equipment policy?
    Yes indeed. Best policy ever.

To back it up I am currently trying to develop a RFID system for nearly every new piece that goes in the outfit. It does costs to do this. Getting less expensive every day. One of the best benefits is that with current RFID chips a system of Item Level Taggng is possible which could Identify every single frame through a unique identifying number if one chooses to "chip" at that level. Although this could be a deterrent to theft and improve recovery efforts I am hoping to use RFID for tracking everything from genetics to hive losses by yard, movements, and just about everything that can be measured through use of identification numbers.[/QUOTE]

Pretty high end goal honey, but probably worth it. I'm trying to work stuff like this into my database i'm working on but not sure how detailed people want to get. You can chip or barcode everything to track equipment better when it's not being used or when you're cleaning up/discarding stuff but while it's in use, it just seems like too much work to try to track it then. I see it useful when setting up new hives/adding boxes though and tracking your relavent inventory to make sure nothing's walking away or been put away somewhere and not being used as you could easily identify inventory not being accounted for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12