Found one of my small hives died, it was never very vigorous in the first place. This is my first year beekeeping. Still capped honey in the hive. Is it ok to eat, some of the comb is moldy. Any ideas how they died? Thanks for all the help.image.jpg
Probably starvation, but it's hard to tell from here. The honey is fit for human consumption.
"Beekeeping. It's a journey, not a destination." Mark Berninghausen
Mold is usually a sign of poor ventilation and condensation. If the condensation dripped onto the cluster they may have frozen, or at least could not maintain adequate cluster temperature.
If your TBH does not have a top entrance, perhaps you should consider one.
. . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]