Default minimum amount of bees

will be receiving 50 pkgs of bees,but not until may 9..i know ,should of bought sooner....with it being so late in spring and probably missing the honey flow somewhat....how much of a package can i put into a 10frame deep with a divider in the middle to pull out when hive supposedly takes off....i would have to add a queen with the additional if you believe it would work..... greg

Default Re: minimum amt of bees

greg, you live in Georgia and you're not getting packages until May 9? What the..., anyway, can you ask your question in a different way so I can understand what you are asking and I'll try to help? John

i know...may 9th is late..its my fault....i ordered really late.....i was po with my self with loosing last years bees.....once again my fault... i will be receiving 50 3 lb pkgs....i have read in several post that people are putting 8-10 ozs of bees in a small mini nuc with queen and letting them expand from there...i was wondering if i could split the pkg in half and add a mated queen....i am way ahead of the game this year with new equipment and such so?...once again ,i will probably miss the honey flow this season and have to feed like the dickins though...john thanks for your help

I think it would be really hard for the bees to build up from only a lb and a half(if split evenly). Since you will be missing a good chunk of this years honey flow, why not just let the 3 pounders build and split next spring? Another option is to diversify, play conservative with the bulk of the packages and try the riskier splits with a few and see if it works.
    Jason Young

I will add my 2 cents..

First of all what is your goal? if it is to have 100 hives going into the winter - I would put the 50 packages in, let them build out and fill the boxes - evaluate what queens are doing well, then later when the hives are thriving, either do walk away splits or order queens and split as many hives as you wish, putting the splits in either 5 frame nucs, or put a dividing board in 10 frame boxes - making two 5 frame boxes in one - with the new queens. then when they build up - if they can- put them into full boxes and look to split more so that you have nucs wintering over,, for the spring when you find you have some dead-outs,,,

I second what jayoung21 said. John

Greg,

the standard package is 3 pounds. If you don't receive them until may in Covington then you need to expect to feed them about a quart of syrup every week or so until september to keep them alive. That said, you could start with one pound of bees and a queen and it wouldn't matter as long as you feed them enough. Have you called the breeders in Mt vernon? They had lots of bees early last year and probably could get them way before may this year.

If you want more then 50 then buy more. Dont split them they wont be strong enough to be successful.