Hybrid View

Default Plastic bags and PDB for Wax Moth ?

Wondering if anyone has thought of and/or tried this before I do.
    I'll have quite a few drawn frames to store for a while. Not enough freezer space. I'm considering BT if I can find the form that is good for a long time and in a reasonable purchase size. My thinking is to put each frame in a plastic bag such as you use to bag produce at the local grocery store. I've used these to store frames of honey and prevent messes in the freezer and the deep frames fit nicely and can be tied to where I believe they will be air tight. I also have a large metal cabinet that would hold quite a few of these bagged frames in an organized fashion. Then I could place sufficient PDB in the cabinet to repel WM. An obvious concern, for me, is the potential interaction of the PDB and the plastic in the bags compromising the whole deal. I'll try PDB in a bag before I do anything else unless I get a quantified thumbs down
    Thoughts appreciated. Nerf stones only please LOL
    Rick

Default Re: Plastic bags and PDB for Wax Moth ?

1st Nerf stone: Wrong forum, friend.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Thought that one might get hurled If it works though,,,,,,no PDB contact,,,,,What's the diff ?
    Rick

PDB at all.

Here's another option. I'm assuming you live right on the bay according to your location information, so you may not get cold enough temps to kill them. Have you tried keeping supers on top of hives through the winter?
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Understood,
    It is not for right now. WM are usually a non issue by the end of Oct. around here. IME.Plenty cold I lost five hives so far this winter and have that material stored open in a garage. Most likely will not re deploy all that before WX becomes a threat by, MId/late May. Investing in a size able freezer isn't an option right now. Keeping or storing excess supers on hives certainly would work now, but becomes problematic come spring with SHB and WM as well if and when they get in.(been there done that) Too much real estate for the bees to deal with.

Rick

Beware, I have stored super and brood frames in the large zip top bags. The darn wax moth have found their way in. Although I would love to have enough freezer space to freeze all of mine, I dont. I am in Central Arkansas. After the supers are cleaned by the bees after harvesting honey, I spray them with BT. The BT that I bought comes in a powder form that has to be mixed up. After drying out, I stack them up and tape them. I still us the PDB in a paper plate on top of the supers as insurance.