Default Shiny wax w/ honey: how to clean?

I noticed one of my solar melter runs of wax has a shine to it, which I suspect is honey contaminating the wax. To address, I'm thinking melt the wax IN water (as opposed to double-boiler) until the water is clear and the block clean?
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Shiny wax w/ honey: how to clean?

Are you talking about melting the wax in water in the solar melter? I almost always put some water into the bottom of the container that I am melting my wax into in the solar melter. Mostly because it makes removing the cake easier. If I have some wax that still has honey in it after the first run through the melter, I put the cake in a container with some water in the bottom and remelt. That usually separates the wax from the honey.

No, I also run the wax into a pan with water in the bottom for that first separation which usually does the trick. This batch must have had more honey than most.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

If I have really dirty wax I do melt it in water sometimes more than once.

How effective is this. I have a pail of cappings from 2 years ago, (lots of honey), turning black as it ages. I was going to fill the bucket with water this week and start to wash it but If I can melt it in water, that will work for me too.