Default New to making queens.

Hi all . So i'm a 4th year beekeeper and last year i made 5 queens buy taking the queen out of a hive and that hive would make QCs and i would put them in there own nucs with some brood honey and bees and wala a new hive .
    Any way i want to requeen most of my hives with my own queens this coming year and was wondering how you all would go about it.
    I am trying to make strong productive bees so where do i start?
    I have been reading everything i can on queen rearing and i think i have most books on the subject i have a copy of CLASSIC QUEEN REARING COMPENDIUM.
    I'm just not sure witch way to go i want to work with my 12 hives i have now that came from 2 diffrent northen bee breeders{ my first 6 nucs 3 one year 3 next}the rest i made.
    I'm going with 15 DBL deep hives by fall and 15 DBL nucs by fall.
    So if you where to make your own queens and this is what you had to work with witch direction would you go in ?
    Thank you.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: New to making queens.

take a look at the jim harding queen rearing system...it might perfect for you...greg
    Last edited by greg zechman; 02-17-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: delete

excuse me the john harding queen rearing system...sorry...
    Last edited by greg zechman; 02-17-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Have you read the info at mdasplitter.com? It is very simple and works very well.

For the best chance of getting quality queens I would recommend two things. For smaller numbers of queens, use frames with swarm cells on them in a similar manner you used above. The only difference being swarm queens vs emergency queens. The swarm queens were raised during a nectar flow, and were fed to be queens from day one. Emergency queens have a higher chance of being inferior. I'm not saying they're all bad. I've had emergency queens that were rock stars. But they do have a better chance than the alternatives at being duds. For larger numbers of queens I would recommend grafting, coupled with strong, well fed cell builders.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Have you read the info at mdasplitter.com? It is very simple and works very well.
    Agree with Vance. Mel's OTS system works great for small, even medium number queens. Best of all, nothing to buy. If you have nucs and a hive tool, you have everything you need already.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I love mels system, but also graft........ the real key to queens is super strong starter and finishers. I am also starting to feel that real strong breeder boxes matters. I have gone to useing nucs for starter and finishers. I shake bees from a donor. leave them queenless for a day and then put them in a nuc with 1 frames of honey, 2 of pollen and a feeder. (and cells) its all I can do to close the hive cause all the bees..... that makes the best queens for me....

If you are only wanting to raise 12 queens why not use a 5frame nuc as the starter/finisher and graft about 25 cups. You should easily get 12 nice looking cells this way to requeen your hives. You could even make up a few nucs with the old queens to have as back ups if a few of the cells don't take.