Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

TBH keeps in nh or ma?

11K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  Ramona 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm on the boarder between NH and MA. Just want to know how your TBHs are doing? Thinking of starting one this spring but I wanted an idea of what I'm getting into. During the winter? And the hot days of summer?

#4 ·
If TBH don't work (and remember they were developed and promoted for tropical Africa) maybe try a Warre style hive as those were designed for cooler temperate Europe. You still get the ease of using top bars but in a hive that will probably winter better in your climate.

#8 ·
Based on absolutely no evidence of any substance I think higher coastal humidity has as much to do with it as colder temps. A TBH has more surface per volume than a lang. Rising air should have more of a tendency to flow down the long way and condense on the food stores.
As important is will your TBH have much as drawn comb as a nuc or as a lang. I found it hard to get them to draw beyond the cluster even while feeding. I see TBHs around here set up on a saw horse type of stand, at a nice convenient working height but wide open to the wind.
If you TBH use a bar with a bottom frame. I know the bees are not supposed to ignore bee space and are not supposed to fasten onto the sides but mine did, again and again. What a mess.
Love the concept, hate the reality, maybe it is just me. Many things are.

#11 ·
>glad to hear you have success in your area. I would like to know, if you don't mind, what kind of TBHs you overwinter and anything special you do to help them out.

The link above is the second half and part of the first half of your question. Pictures of two of the kinds I have are there along with management information. Since Christy of Gold Star gave me a top bar hive, I've had bees in that one every since and it has always done well. http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/

#16 ·
I thank you for the links and still plan to try out a TBH. I'm not sure were our bees were ordered from because my hives are swarms off of these hives, but they came south of us. I plan to use a swarm or split to start the hive so maybe, having and over wintered queen, will help.

#18 ·
>why don't more people source their packages/nucs locally so the bees you start with are better acclimated to your area?

shannonswyatt is right. It's all about the timing. You can't have nucs and packages as early as everyone wants. But if you get a nuc in mid May that does well and survives the winter, I think you are ahead of getting a package in early April that doesn't make it through the winter. So some of it is training and getting people to value a later healthy overwintered northern nuc over an earlier southern package.

#20 ·
I don't think there is anything impossible about overwintering tbh in Massachusetts, Maine, or new Hampshire. I do think that Les Crowder has the right approach in his book.....he is a commercial beekeeper and keeping tbh alive and productive is how he feeds his family.

In Maine, the major tbh proponent sells hives and bees to fill them.....but we have no reports on how well they overworked (word on the street is as Cam said.....but I have no inside info).
Add the evaluation of tbh by a master beekeeper in Maine as published in the journals...... and there isn't much of a lead to follow.

Like all things, the devil is in the details.....I can't quite recommend tbh in our area simply because I haven't seen it done right in our area....there is no lead to follow.

I was watching a movie with snowboarding last night, and was thinking about how terrible the first snow board probably performed and looked......it would be folly to judge the feasibility of a tbh in new England based on "first attempts".

But if you are going to sell hives, bees to go in them, and teach how "easy" tbh management is, isnt overwintering relevant?

Deknow

#21 ·
I don't think there is anything impossible about overwintering tbh in Massachusetts, Maine, or new Hampshire. I do think that Les Crowder has the right approach in his book.....he is a commercial beekeeper and keeping tbh alive and productive is how he feeds his family.
Long way from New Mexico to MA. Two of my TBH's were headed by Carni queens. Their sisters made the winter in Langs, they froze. There was ample honey available [didn't take any off] and about 15 drawn bars in the hives. I've offered the hives for free for 3 years and got no takers. Finally burned the top bars but the hives are still available.

#23 ·
I dunno. I very much like Christy, she has shown us wonderful support, and we always enjoy running into her at events.

I am very careful about what I say and claim...both when offering advice and when selling something.
The Gold Star Top Bar hive:
It's easy to assemble, it's easy to manage, it's just easy!
If it isn't easy (or demonstrated) to overwinter, it isn't easy to manage.

I'm in somewhat of a "competing" market wrt teaching new beekeepers (we do not sell TBH or any equipment to speak of)....and we have a lot of contact with her students and customers. I'm not sure it is helpful to tell people how easy it is if it is not.

Again, I don't doubt that TBH can be kept in New England....we might run a couple this year ourselves. I'm just not seeing that anyone is doing it well enough and sharing management practices that give a good model to follow, never mind to consider it "easy".

deknow

#25 ·
The gist of my vast 1 year/1 KTBH experience in Shirley, MA is in the W. Kelley Jan 2013 newsletter (edit- p.25). I didn't have the heart to subject the poor things to another winter in the KTBH. Ironically, after doing ok last summer in a Lang, they died end of Jan. in my first-ever deadout. Suspect mites, haven't opened it fully yet. It was, to follow the thread, one of Rick R's NE Bees packages (with replacement queen early summer (edit- late spring)), which come from Georgia. But that wasn't the problem for me, see the newsletter. It just wasn't a good environment. Good Luck. Greg.

#28 ·
Hi jpelley,

I am right around the corner from you in Beverly. I have a top bar that I got last year from Sam Comfort as an established colony. So far this winter it is doing better than my Lang hives and is out flying on warm days. The comb was fine on warm days over the summer and they did a great job adding comb and stores for winter. I did insulate it with rigid insulation over the top bars for overwintering but that's all. I also gave them a few frames of capped honey from one of my lang hives by cutting off the bottom and side bars and sticking it in the back of the hive, but I don't think they needed it, (yet anyway). If it makes it through the rest of the winter you are welcome to stop by and take a look.

#30 ·
deknow <"I do think that Les Crowder has the right approach in his book.....he is a commercial beekeeper and keeping tbh alive and productive is how he feeds his family."

That statement is fraught with misconception.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.