Hybrid View

Default Dog kennel to keep bears out

New beekeeper is wondering if he could put his two hives in a wire 10x20 dog kennel. Would this obstruct the bees flight?

Default Re: Dog kennel to keep bears out

I can't imagine why there would be any issue with this. Two hives should easily be able to manage inside an area this large.

If a dog kennel will keep a bear out, I'll eat it. But it won't obstruct the bee flight. I wouldn't recommend a dog kennel. Try a 10 foot brick or cement wall.
    Before a bee stings, it will be sure to let you know that it will hurt them more than it will hurt you.

I'm in the process of building a bear fence now. Did a lot of research and found that there are really only two things that will have a chance of keeping out bears...a shark cage type structure or a high tension electric fence. Hope all my effort rewards me! :-)
    Last edited by Lazer128; 02-18-2013 at 04:37 AM.

i have bears i , i know because i have seen them. i have an electric. does it keep them out i dont know. in combanation with the fence, through the season i always leave my shirt or t shirt hanging in a bush, or tree, or on a nail on the barn near the hives. always changeing the place or posision of the shirt or t. trying to always leave the impresion and scent to any animal comeing around that i am there. when i was a kid my father yoused to always leave his t shirt on the handle of the shovel in the garden in a different place every day he would work in the garden. he said it helped to keep the deer out. so i practice that in my bee yard . so far i have not had a visit from any bears. so far the biggest danger to my bees are ME.
    thats the way i roll.

Quote Originally Posted by curios1 View Post
    i have bears i , i know because i have seen them. i have an electric. does it keep them out i dont know. in combanation with the fence, through the season i always leave my shirt or t shirt hanging in a bush, or tree, or on a nail on the barn near the hives. always changeing the place or posision of the shirt or t. trying to always leave the impresion and scent to any animal comeing around that i am there. when i was a kid my father yoused to always leave his t shirt on the handle of the shovel in the garden in a different place every day he would work in the garden. he said it helped to keep the deer out. so i practice that in my bee yard . so far i have not had a visit from any bears. so far the biggest danger to my bees are ME.
    Good ideas!

..so far the biggest danger to my bees are ME.
    I resemble that remark!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

I use a dog kennel to protect a few of my hives. No problems at all. I would recommend chaining it down. I placed large metal stakes at each corner and used 1/2 chain to chain the kennel to the stakes. This way if the bear were to attempt to move or disturb the kennel it would not move much and hopefully deter from the hives.