Hybrid View

Default Need advice on capturing a feral hive

I have an opportunity to get a hive of bees that have taken up in an old oil furnace setting in the woods. They have been there at least three years. Should I wait till warmer weather and cut them out? Should I trap them out? I have never done a trap out. Or should I seal the entrances at night and bring them and the heater to my apiary and then what? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.
    Last edited by tdsiders; 02-17-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Default Re: Need advice on capturing a feral hive

Whether you do a trapout or cutout, they will need to generate wax to be able to use their new home. So it would be best to wait for warmer weather. They don't need a heater.

If you are interested in doing a trapout, you may be interested in this thread that has photos involving the Hogan Trapout method, this one from a tree:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ut-from-a-tree

Cleo Hogan is a Beesource member and has been very generous in offering specifics of his methods to Beesource members. You can PM him with your email address to receive a free document about the Hogan Trapout.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Sounds like a perfect candidiate for a cut out. Just wait for warmer weather. Until then, watch jpthebeeman on youtube for cutout videos that will shed much needed light on the subject.
    Cleo is THE MAN for trap outs though.

If you are not in a hurry and you have access to brood do a trap-out. If not, do a cutout. Wait until mid April though. If you are going to do a Hogan style trap-out you could attach the trap now and spring it later.

tdsiders: You are making reference to the heater that they are actually in, right? :-)

yes