Hybrid View

Default Tamp Florida - When to add honey supers

I live in Tampa Florida. I have had my bee hives for a full year now. I didn't get any honey last year. I would like to "do it right" this year. Can someone from the Florida area tell me when I should add honey supers to my hives?

Thanks!

Default Re: Tamp Florida - When to add honey supers

Iam in jacksonville and I added mine last week, some already have capped honey.after only a week, most of the orange is already blooming in your area, go for it.

I'm in North Fl. too and I have had mine on for a little while too. I have already had two swarms this year. You are a lot further south than me. I would check your hives for swarm cells and go ahead and add supers.

I'm just across the bay in Pinellas and I put my suppers on about two weeks ago. They were starting to draw them out when I last checked two days ago. I'd wait till this cold snap is over though. About Wednesday, I think we'll be back to the upper 70's again. Hope this helps.

rfisher: I agree with the others...now! Wait until the weather moderates. I had a cut out scheduled for Valentines that I rescheduled for Tuesday, when this weather is due to break. I think you will be seeing 80* again Tuesday...that would be my choice. I sure wouldn't wait long though! If you are off tomorrow, and have to work Tuesday, do it tomorrow in the warmth of the day.

Thanks for the advise. I think I am going to listen and wait until later in the week (till the cold is gone). Do you know where I could find a general calendar that shows the months when the nectar flows are in central Florida? I am hoping to find something that gives me a general idea of when the nectar flows are and when to put on and take off the honey supers.

THANKS again!