Default What to do with 5 deep frames of honey from a dead colony

I'm a second year home beekeeper with two hives. My inspection yesterday revealed one dead hive with 5 deep frames of capped honey and no bees. I plan on replacing the bees this spring but am not sure what to do with the honey. Ideas I have:
    -harvest now but what to do with the wet frames
    -save frames with honey for the next colony I introduce in a couple of months
    -Give frames with honey or wet frames after harvesting to my remaining vibrant colony
    All thoughts welcome.

Default Re: What to do with 5 deep frames of honey from a dead colony

If your 'vibrant' colony has capped honey of their own,they do not need the five frames. The bees you are getting in a couple months will benefit from the honey especially if they are a package. If you haven't had a honey crop yet. One of those capped frames will yield 5-7 pounds. I always store my extracted frames wet. I seal them up to keep the vermin out or you may be able to freeze them for safe storage. Leaving a couple of the capped frames for the new bees is definately a good idea.

Place them in a freezer to kill any mites and SHB. Then take them out to help jump-start any new swarm you get.
    Thaw them out for 24/48 hr before you give them to the swarm. and rake the caps open before you put them in. That way they can consume it easier.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Place them in a freezer to kill any mites and SHB. Then take them out to help jump-start any new swarm you get.
    Thaw them out for 24/48 hr before you give them to the swarm. and rake the caps open before you put them in. That way they can consume it easier.
    Sounds like great advice, thanks.

why not do a walk away split as soon as you see drones?

If you don't want to use them to start a couple new colonies you can send them to me by April.
    Dan

Extract them, honey in the jar is money in the bank. Have the other colony dry them and use them for your next start.