Default A tale of two years 2011 vs 2012 Hive Scale Data

I decided to play around with my hive scale data and compare 2011 (a pretty normal year) with 2012 (a very hot year with little rainfall). I normalized each year and overlaid them. The data is very interesting.

I always see people asking about when the "flow" hits for certain areas, well, if you live by me, this might give you some indication.

2011 vs 2012.JPG

The red line is 2011, the gold line is 2012. Here's my take on the data:

1. flows hit much earlier when it warms earlier. This might not be a good thing if your bees don't have enough time to build up. As you can see, my bees had another month to build up in 2012 before the first flow hit.
    2. You can see the effect of the drought on 2012 summer flow. In 2011 the summer flow was much larger than the spring flow. Vice-versa in 2012.
    3. We have 3 main flows 1. the Black Locust flow, 2. Summer flow starting with Linden, and 3. The fall flow (mainly Goldenrod).

I'm just posting because I found it interesting.

Default Re: A tale of two years 2011 vs 2012 Hive Scale Data

Hey could you email that to me?? i would like to print it out. Last year was the first year I started keeping data on the weight, and one of my 2 scale hives got EFB so the data is non existant.

PM me your email address.

Nice graph and interesting data. What's the real numbers for your Y Axis? I started in August on a graph. I measure their weight every week. My data shows no flow...too late....but starts out very erratic due to a dry summer and my feeding. Its interesting to see how fast they can add weight or consume it! I can't wait to go through the flow this spring and see how the girls do!

It is always good idea to label axes for graphs. X- I assume days? What is Y, in which units? kilos? pounds? Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

Both graphs look the same to me but shifted along the "X".
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Belewsboy View Post
    Nice graph and interesting data. What's the real numbers for your Y Axis? I started in August on a graph. I measure their weight every week. My data shows no flow...too late....but starts out very erratic due to a dry summer and my feeding. Its interesting to see how fast they can add weight or consume it! I can't wait to go through the flow this spring and see how the girls do!
    In 2011 the hive put on 210 lbs for the year
    In 2012 the hive put on 200 lbs for the year

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Both graphs look the same to me but shifted along the "X".
    For the most part you are right. The summer flow in 2011 was larger than the spring flow. This was opposite in 2012 because of the drought.