Default Empty supper storage

Last year we tried starting 3 new hives. (Haven't had bees in over 25 years) We lost all 3 due to the drought and heat. We brought the boxes in to a lumber storage area beside our wood shop and when I started inspecting them in Jan. we had wax moths. We have since cleaned up all the frames after freezing them each for 2 weeks. I have them all in the wood shop and I don't want this problem next winter. We are getting 3 nukes from a local club member installed in my boxes.

I remember reading some were about an insert with a slide out tray to replenish the product used to keep moths at bay. Does any one have plans for this insert and what was/is used to keep moths out. I know there is one type of moth balls that should NOT be used so I don't want to get the wrong type.

I THANK YOU ALL for your help with this.
    Jim

Default Re: Empty supper storage

Some people use Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) to control wax moths. More on that here:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswaxmoths.htm

Trays are sometimes used with vegetable oil to kill any varroa or SHB larva that fall into them. I haven't heard of them used with regards to wax moths.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You're looking for ParaMoth crystals. Smells a lot like moth balls, but it's a completely different chemical. You don't need to invest the money or time in a special fixture for the crystals. I just use a piece of paper towel on the top super in the stack. I then put a tarp ocer the top and wrap the whole stack in shrink wrap. I use a piece of cardboard on the bottom to act as a seal. You can usually go about 6 super high in a stack safely. Too high and you may not get good coverage. ParaMoth is listed as an insecticide, so make sure you air out your supers for several days before installing on a hive. Hope yhis helps.

Wisnewbee
    Last edited by Wisnewbee; 02-17-2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

ParaMoth works well, you can also try spraying them with BT.

Best way to control them, of course, is not to store empty drawn brood comb in conditions conducive to moths, meaning they should be in unheated, well ventilated outdoor conditions (way too cold) or on active hives.

Honey supers are not a serious problem, since the wax moths need the protein in the old combs to develop. They do not develop in pure wax foundation (watch for pollen in those honey supers though!).

If you don't use ParaMoth, you should stack them so that the combs are well lit -- the moths don't like lights and won't lay in illuminated combs.

You can also wrap them well in plastic and freeze the whole package, then store at room temp. in most cases, this will kill off any eggs or larvae and the frames will be fine until you unwrap them.

Peter

I agree with most of what psfred said, except I disagree with the part about honey supers being low risk to wax moth. I worked for a commercial beek and spent days scraping off wax moth webbing and nasties from honey supers that were'nt treated the previous year. Wax moth will get into and destroy honey supers if given a chance.

Wisnewbee

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    ...you can also try spraying them with BT. Honey supers are not a serious problem, since the wax moths need the protein in the old combs to develop. They do not develop in pure wax foundation (watch for pollen in those honey supers though!).
    Can you spray Bt on deadout stored brood frames with some pollen and honey stores, then at some point in the season replace them back on the hive when needed?
    Plant Hardiness Zone 6B, 5300 ft., Bee Zone A/B, Proverbs 24:13
    https://www.facebook.com/mobileprotection#!/2RBeeFarm

Thank You all for the info. I will be making changes to how I store our extra supplies.
    The insert with the tray I referred to was used in a stack of empty supers in storage. It was placed at a height so the owner did not have to climb a ladder or bend over when they wanted to check how much was remaining.

Thank You all again
    Jim