Hybrid View

Default Package Bee and AHB

Looking for opinions from those who have experience with package bees from Georgia. Lots of people that I talk to locally believe that package bees from Georgia will substantially increase the risk of importing AHB into our area. How much of this is pure hype and how much is real? Certainly importing bees provides a vector to import diseases and pests, but what is the real threat of AHB in Georgia packages?
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Default Re: Package Bee and AHB

pretty much zilch zero nada.... of course importing anything mathmaticly does change the risk. but around 300,000 packages are shipped north from GA alone every spring. all apaires are given inspections, and frankly infected AFB hives wouldn't be worth shakeing....

most of the stories about bad packages are from people trying to sell you nucs or some other of there products. not saying a local nuc is bad, but if the guy telling you this is the one, look elswhere, hes feeding you crap and running down the compititon.

Annualy US wide only a little over 700K packages are sent north.......

gmcharlie, reread the op. They're talking about Africanized Honey Bees, not American Foul Brood.

Wisnewbee

To me the risk is currently low but there is a risk.

Most package producers dont truely evaluate queens before being crated and sent off. They look for in a newly mated queen is laying eggs and thats about it. Some might verify if its worker brood but most dont. The risk is.....did that queen mate with AHB drones? No way to tell in such a short period of time.

As beekeepers we try to be self sufficient. That is my goal. The more I can do that the less likely I will have issues that were beyond my control.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

hmmm.... to far north to think that way...! the post is still valid.... No of the commercial guys would use hot queens for breeding......

if you choose package bees, please consider requeening with well mated local stock during your honey flow.

I have been using and selling package bees from Gardners in GA. Most all of the feedback I hear is that the bees are gentle and productive. My personal opinion is that it is in there best interest to manage the queen breeding part of there operation. I'm sure opinions will vary.

The chance of getting ahb from georgia packages is probably zero. There's just no significant presence of ahb in Georgia. There is at least one large supplier that I have gotten queens from whose bees are somewhat hot but not ahb hot. That said, they are hard working bees and survive better and are building up faster than some other lines I acquired last year.

Depends on whether or not AHB's are in the area where the apiary is located. If so there is a good chance you would get at least a little of those genetics.
    Georga is a big state, you need to check if the AHB's have progressed into the part of the state you're talking about. That's the only true way to find the answer to you're question.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    Georga is a big state, you need to check if the AHB's have progressed into the part of the state you're talking about.
    Suggestions? Certainly USDA maps are not correct. Do local states maintain these maps? I guess you'd also need to know where exactly the mated queens came from...likely not public information.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

If Georgia packages had AHBs in them they would not have mites And they have plenty of mites.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.