Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive is ready for inspection and adding a super?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  beepro 
#1 ·
This'll be my first Spring as a beek and the weather tomorrow's going to be pretty nice. I've got some pretty bad cleaning I have to do when I next go in there because of some issues I had last time. Also, I'd like to place my first super onto my solo hive body if I can.
Here's the weather for tomorrow:
71°F High
Sunny / Wind
Chance of Rain:0%
Wind: S at 22 mph Humidity:41%
UV Index:5 - Moderate
  • Is it too early in the seasons to put their first super (and mind you it's a mighty strong populated hive)?
  • If it is fine to put it on now, what time should I expect an extraction?
  • Is it even too early to go into the hive (I want to get some work done before late Spring and they get all frisky) ?

#2 ·
Yes, it is time to give them a good clean up and some hive management. And it is never too late to put on another super when you have a strong going populated hive. If there is not enough room to grow they will want to swarm for a strong hive.
Your honey harvest depends on if there is a flow going on now as well other factors. No flow = no honey. At low 70s, right now is a good time. I even check my hive at night time at 55F as well in the day time at low 60s. At anytime you check a hive they will get frisky so prepare for that situation. This is normal to me as I have experienced meaner worker bees chasing me on a hive check before. Now I have calm and gentle bees so I can check anytime I want without them bothering me anymore. I can just sit next to a busy hive and look right into the hive entrance within 1 foot, alright. Something I would not recommend you to do. You can always cancel today and do it again tomorrow when they are in a better mood. Need to find out if they are hungry or just aggressive bees, o.k. If they are aggressive bees on expansion you will have to deal with more aggressive bees later on. Ohh, better suit up to deal with that too.
I don't clean out the old hive bottom anymore because they just make it messy again. But I will use another hive to replace the dirty one just transfer all the frames over to the new hive. The old bees will fly into the new hive fine. Then will clean up the old hive when it is all empty.

#5 ·
I have 10 full brood frames and Im getting a constant pollen flow. I think they're ready for a quick visit and a home extension. It's just after noon now and the sun is a bit bright overhead which'll probably disturb the peace in going in. Should wait til afternoon when all the bees are home, or is it fine to go in now?

#6 ·
Anytime you go to check a hive you will disturb them a bit. Just move gently and swiftly one frame at a time. I found out my bees went out at 10am-3pm coming and going all day long. If your hive is booming then it would not matter much because it is always full of bees on the frame you inspect.
Around 5pm my bees all went inside the hive. To get a thorough inspection to assess the hive situation, I usually do a hive check around 4pm when it is still warm outside in the upper 50s. Noon time is o.k. too but given so many bees this would not matter that much at anytime you
check them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.