Thread: hello from wv

Default hello from wv

I'm 45 years old, married to my best friend and we live on 15 acres in north-central West Virginia.
    We want to keep bees for several reasons; to increase pollination and productivity of our trees and other flora, to syphon off a bit of honey for ourselves, but mostly for the experience of working together with the bees to our mutual benefit.
    I've been doing most of the research; books, podcasts like The Organically Managed Beekeeper and am still in the research stage. Were gravitating to the philosophies of The Fat Bee Man, John Seaborn, and other like-minded beekeepers. My Wife and I are currently enrolled in a six night course with my county BKA and let me tell you they are a great group even if we are hearing a little bit of conflicting philosophy there.
    For this season. we are leaning towards purchasing a small cell nuke, and using foundationless frames in 8-frame medium Lang supers.
    I am definitely here to learn and welcome all advice.
    About the only thing I have to offer at this point is an open mind.
    John

Default Re: hello from wv

Hello there, I live in Fairmont, and just joined this forum as well. Is everyone in the class using Langs, or are there some top bar folks? We didn't know if was going on until yesterday. I am a newcomer to beekeeping as well, and am on the lookout for swarms and feral bees. Already have a cut out lined up that's an oplder colony in a 'bee tree." We will see how that goes.

John

Welcome John!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome John! Seems like the beekeeping world is full of conflicting advice, the best advice that I can give you is do a lot of research, join an association and attend meetings, talk to other beekeepers, and most of all, have fun! Don't get discouraged when you hear everyone else's tales of disease, mites, colony losses, etc. Paul Poling is one of WV's apiary inspectors and lives up near both of you, nice guy and has been keeping bees for a long time......good source of info.

Welcome to the site! I'm starting with my first four packages in March. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    Hello there, I live in Fairmont, and just joined this forum as well. Is everyone in the class using Langs, or are there some top bar folks?
    Everyone in the class that I've talked with is using Langs but nobody has came right out and said "You have to do it this way..." they seem to be conscience that everyone has there own ideas. Good luck with feral and thanks to all for the welcome!
    John