This has been the toughest decision for me to make when it comes to preparing to buy our first 4 italian "small cell" honey bee hives with the goal of expanding to 8 hives next year. The gentleman I'm buying the bees from keeps his in 8-frame hives and swears by them. A good friend of mine has 25 hives and he keeps his in 10-frame hives and reduces his honey supers to 9-frames. The difference between the two is one raises bees to sell and my friend raises them mainly for the honey. My main goal is for the bees to pollinate my berries, fruit trees, vegetables and pumpkins and sell any excess honey at our fruit stand.

I've been reading various pros and cons on the subject and most of the contributors are ones that have moved from 10-frame to 8-frame hives. Personally, I'm leaning that way too as the frame box weight is considerably lighter than a fully-loaded 10 frame box and at 60 I'm not getting any younger.

Have any of you run into this dilema and, if so, which way did you choose and are you glad you made that decision?