Thread: Buckfast Queens

Hybrid View

Default Buckfast Queens

I saw a post from a Buckfast queen breeder but did not get your information. If you raise Buckfast queens from stock that you got from Ferguson please get with me. Thanks

Default Re: Buckfast Queens

I sent you an email message conserning Buckfast Queens.
    Myron Denny

Are they worth all the "buzz"? Anyone had experience with them?

Sonny - I'd suggest a quick Google search for the Wikipedia page on the Buckfast Abbey Bee. Lots of good info, like the 400 lbs of honey one colony produced, the 30 kilogram per colony average in adverse conditions that Brother Adam faced accomplishing this, and some on the ancestry and characteristics. I'd also suggest Brother Adam's books, Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey, In Search of the Best Strains of Bees, and Breeding the Bee. ISBN's and info are posted on the Wikipedia page.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnypemberton View Post
    Are they worth all the "buzz"? Anyone had experience with them?
    Ferguson is the best "Buckfast" breeders on this side of the pond. His queens are very good. If you are getting them directly from him they are good queens. I would not recommend buying daughter queens off of somebody who bought from him. If you only need a queen or two the cost of getting them isn't going to be worth it, but if you need a dozen or so they are well worth the shipping costs.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

I do not have any Buckfast colonies or queens, I was just trying to help out. There was a discussion in the past about Buckfast breeders, this is the only breeder info I saw:
    Miksa Honey Farms - (352) 429-3447 - Florida miksahf@aol.com
    I sent an email last night to advise them of this inquiry with no responce to date.

i don't personally have any experience with buckfasts, but my local bee club is importing them from ontario
    http://michiganbeekeepers.com/
    i would like to try some but they are $$$
    i am sure that part of the 45$ cost is the international shipping and customs

who is ferguson?
    Last edited by arrowwood; 02-17-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Denny View Post
    I do not have any Buckfast colonies or queens, I was just trying to help out. There was a discussion in the past about Buckfast breeders, this is the only breeder info I saw:
    Miksa Honey Farms - (352) 429-3447 - Florida miksahf@aol.com
    I sent an email last night to advise them of this inquiry with no responce to date.
    David is usually very busy, but he will answer, eventually. He has a university background and is doing a very good job. It is a huge family bussiness and the queens I got are doing just like they supposed to do. In the book "Queen Rearing Essentials" by Lawrence John Connor there is a chapter about their operation.
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html