Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wanting to buy feeders

hello i would like to buy feeders that commercial beekeepers use the top feeders kinda like buckets but these stack much nicer. they are called f-style cans and come in gallon size,
    if anyone has used ones or has extra please pm me
    thanks anthony
    Last edited by Heavenly bees; 02-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Default Re: wanting to buy feeders

Try googling "F-style gallon cans". I wasn't aware these are used as feeders. -james

Last time I tlaked to the guys out there (CA ) they said they are haveing difficulty getting them. How many are you looking for??

Post Re: wanting to buy feeders

I love the smell of nectar in the morning.

This company has them in stock. I was there and was wondering how well they would work?
    Can you share how they are used? My concern is that if I put holes in the bottoms they would leak a bit if I Pre-filled them

How are these cans used as feeders? -js

I'm like James...how are these used?

They look like the rectangular gallon cans that olive oil comes in or maybe the old Coleman fuel gallon cans.

Ed

3 small holes are drilled in the screw on cap. The cans are dipped in a hot wax bath to keep them from rusting. If they have the metal handle it can be removed with a propane torch. The last batch I bought was from a Bay area company. US Container co.
    http://www.berlinpackaging.com/en/va...etal-cans-tins

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    3 small holes are drilled in the screw on cap. The cans are dipped in a hot wax bath to keep them from rusting. If they have the metal handle it can be removed with a propane torch. The last batch I bought was from a Bay area company. US Container co.
    http://www.berlinpackaging.com/en/va...etal-cans-tins
    Thanks for the explanation. Are they then place inside with a deep hive body around it or are the lids inserted through a hole in a migratory cover? -js

>>the lids inserted through a hole in a migratory cover<<

Yes

I use cans and before them I used 2 liter soda bottles. I found a old guy in San Jose who worked at a 20/20 recycle site in a grocery parking lot and showed him the kind of lid I was looking for and in about 3 weeks time he collected over a thousand of them they were the aluminum ones they work well as feeders you only need to have one hole drilled in the a 1/16th will do and you only need to drill a 1 1/8 inch hole makes tight fit you can see the amount of feed left with out disturbing hive you have no prep work to keep them from rusting every one in awhile you recycle them and get new bottles just save the tops. If you can not acquire the metal tops then use plastic ones they work also but you have to make the hole in them slightly bigger and the hole thru your top will be larger also. Cost is a whole lot less than Cans. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Beesrme View Post
    I use cans and before them I used 2 liter soda bottles. I found a old guy in San Jose who worked at a 20/20 recycle site in a grocery parking lot and showed him the kind of lid I was looking for and in about 3 weeks time he collected over a thousand of them they were the aluminum ones they work well as feeders you only need to have one hole drilled in the a 1/16th will do and you only need to drill a 1 1/8 inch hole makes tight fit you can see the amount of feed left with out disturbing hive you have no prep work to keep them from rusting every one in awhile you recycle them and get new bottles just save the tops. If you can not acquire the metal tops then use plastic ones they work also but you have to make the hole in them slightly bigger and the hole thru your top will be larger also. Cost is a whole lot less than Cans. Tom
    Confused.

You "use cans..." but what you are doing now "cost a whole lot less than cans." Are you using these one gallon cans? If not, what are you using? Am I to understand that whatever it is that you use, you are changing out the lids for some reason?

What is a "20/20 recycling center"?

-js

Yes I have 1 gallon metal cans and before I got them I used 2 liter bottles. I also use 1 quart glass jars on mini nucs and 2 quart jars of 5 frame deep nucs I can also use a bottle or a can. The 20/20 Recycle centers were in the Santa Clara Valley in California. They were in Grocery Store parking lots and people could bring there cans and bottles into be recycled and get there money for buy back. When I was talking about "lids" I was refering to the bottle lids. Does this answer your questions

I think so. You are getting metal cans and replacing the original lids with bottle lids. I think. -js

That is not what I said try reading what was written. I am not replacing my can lids and never said that. So go away.

I'm don't really understand either.

What do you not understand? I don't know I think what I wrote was clear.

thanks for the reply's, i will check out the sources some of u provided

Not a problem hope I was able to help you. To be honest the best by far for feeder in the 2 quart Mason wide mouth jar and all you need to do is drill 1 1/2 hole in top and drill three small hole in the metal lid of the jar work great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast