Question Question re: wood for hive boxes

Hi all.

Getting ready to make up some hive boxes. Found some great condition used 1x12 boards at a building material reseller last week. One of them is painted on both sides. Should/can I use it, or does only raw wood go on the inside of the boxes?

TIA
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Default Re: Question re: wood for hive boxes

Dude,
    Over the years I've heard this question answered both ways. So it probably doesn't do any harm.
    Dan

You will get a variety of opinions about paint on the inside.

I would have no problem using painted boards. But, consider that if you are using glue at the corners, the paint may hinder the glue. It depends on what kind of joint you choose to make.
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

I wouldn't worry too much about having paint on the inside. As Rader mentioned, take this into account when joining up your corners. If you're really concerned about it, consider sanding/stripping the corners. Sanding doesn't work very well on Latex Paint, but I usually have pretty good luck with oil. If it's latex, use a heat gun and a scraper. I wouldn't recommend a chemical stripper.

It will not hurt the bees as much as it might you, if it is lead based. Not a problem but treat it like it is lead unless the tester for any hardware store says it is not. Test all the layers of paint in several places.

Saltybee has a good point, but keep in mind consumer/household paint manufactured after 1978 does not have lead in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_paint
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Cut so the blades hit the paint from behind as much as you can, as the titanium dioxide (white) pigments will dull blades quickly, even carbide.

Otherwise, paint on the inside won't hurt anything, it's just not necessary for the bees (who will coat the wood with propolis in any case).

I'd not turn down low cost wood for bee boxes! Watch for loose knots, don't bother if it's very warped.

Peter

Thanks for all the replies. The board in question and two others turned into wood for 3 medium boxes.