Default My Mann Lake Plastic Uncapping Tank - Metal Strainer Grate Rusted!

I just ordered one of Mann Lake's Plastic Uncapping Tank's a few months back. I used it for the first time a few days ago and went to clean it tonight. I ran the metal strainer grate through my dishwasher. To my surprise, it came out totally rusted. Can this be cleaned? Surely it is not good to strain honey through it now.

Default Re: My Mann Lake Plastic Uncapping Tank - Metal Strainer Grate Rusted!

Looks like Mann Lake is going to send me a new one. Great!

Be carefull running anything waxy through you're dishwasher.
    We clean ours with a garden hose.
    I put our metal grate inside a 5 gal. paint strainer when using it, it helps keep the wax on top.
    Dan

Paul, would you recommend the Mann Lake uncapping tank? Did the new screen they sent you rust, also? I am really needing one of these, and Mann Lake's looks like the best deal. Thank you!

It is just fine. I use it a lot. I did not know it at the time, but the grate is actually a metal queen excluder - 8 frame I believe. And yes they did send a new one, along with a lecture about simply hand washing it instead of running it through a dishwasher.

I took the old rusty grate and made a cloake board with it - so it all worked out.

My only complaint about the unit is I don't harvest enough honey to actually fill it up. It works great for cut-outs though. Makes a good place to stack removed comb and let the honey drip out and strain.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I have one wish I had not spent the money. But, C'est la vie

I have one it has served me well,I like it better than the other ones I have seen.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

No I wouldn't. With some of the other ones on the marked you can hang the uncapped frames on the tub. I cut the top off a super & mounted it to the mann lake tub so it could hang 8 frames while they are dripping.
    Dan

Yeah, I don't really use mine for what it was intended either. It's more like a catch basin for me.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I always tended to put uncapped frames immediately into the extractor; so my own uncapping tank is basically just that - it holds cappings and catches any honey that spills out of a frame before I move it to the extractor.

I've been interested in Mann Lake's tank for a while. I might pick up one.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!