Default Styrofoam (XPS) for swarm trap?

Has anyone thought about, or used, styrofoam for swarm traps? The cost is pretty comparable to wooden construction, maybe a bit cheaper, but at my scale, it is of little consequence. This is assuming I use 2" sheets, but I think 1" sheets will be adequate. These would certainly be lighter than wood construction which might be nice when retrieving from elevated locations. My other swarm traps are essentially 10-frame deeps with secured tops and bottoms, so I'd be making these along the same lines.

Are there reasons to avoid construction of this type?

Thanks,

Kris

Default Re: Styrofoam (XPS) for swarm trap?

Bees chew through less denser Styrofoam. Your ten frame deeps are the best plan. Why make a superfluous piece of equipment when you can make a one style fits all box?

There is no particular reason to try the foam construction, but I also saw no particular reason to avoid it either. If they can/will chew through it, then it is clearly not a good choice of materials. It looks like I'll be sticking with the 10f-deeps. Thanks for your input!

Xps need some kind of liner or barrier to prevent bees chewing, whether it is masonite, a veneer, vinyl or other plastic contact 'paper' or even packing tape.

Gentleman on another forum (I hesitate to lik to a competing forum...will add if moderators say it's ok)
    has several years experience making hive and nucs from it, and it has been interesting to watch his designs evolve.