Thread: Early splits

Default Early splits

If I have a lot of drone brood and the hives are doing really well can I do walkaway splits this early?

I keep double deep brood boxes and I was just planning on splitting the hive bodies and moving the splits to another apiary location (peach orchard).

I was also just thinking about making three of my hives (in three seperate apiaries) queenless by splitting and then going back two weekends later, cutting out the queen cells, and doing 2 for 1 splits of all hives in those locations. One apiary is 12 hives, another is 8, and another is 6. This would mean the queen would emerge the first week of March.

The only think that worried me is if a really hard cold spell came along (Texas weather the sunny/warm one day and snowing the next) and also if there is something else i am not considering.

Default Re: Early splits

Quote Originally Posted by RichardsonTX View Post
    ...I was also just thinking about making three of my hives (in three seperate apiaries) queenless by splitting and then going back two weekends later, cutting out the queen cells, and doing 2 for 1 splits of all hives in those locations...
    You will be too late because in 2 weekends the queens would have already emerged. I would recommend you do this 9 days after making the hives queenless.

Assuming they use 1 day old larvae (4 days after the egg was laid) and the queen hatches on day 16 (after the egg was laid) (this sometimes happens earlier) and you come back 14 days later, you will miss the big event by 2 days.

But if you come back 9 days later, and they have used 3 day old larvae (since this is an emergency situation to them) these larvae will be on day 6 from being laid. 6 + 9 = 15 so 9 days later would still give you a tiny little cushion to get your cells cut out and installed so the queen emerges in the next day or so (depending upon whether they used 1, 2, or 3 day old larvae).