Hybrid View

Default Surplus Winter Eucalyptus Honey

I was so surprised today when I went into my backyard hive. I looked down in the top medium and saw a bunch of white capped comb. First frame, fourth frame, eighth frame....tenth! Woo hoo! I took 8 frames that weighed in at a total of 35 pounds, so I am guessing 30-ish pounds of honey when it's all said and done. Although it's winter here in CA, we had heavy rain in December and then nothing for most of January. I guess with all the great flying weather and water in the ground, the girls put it on while I wasn't paying attention. This is my first winter honey crop. Yes!

Default Re: Surplus Winter Eucalyptus Honey

Eucalyptus is an Australian native tree. Do you know what type of tree it is? Can you post a photo of the flower. It is the eucalyptus that greatly helps Australia have the highest yield per hive in the world. The unofficial world record is 348 kg ( over 700 lbs) per hive in 1954 in the karri forest in the south of Western Australia. That was over 100 hives and not a special boosted hive.

good job.

I got a few frames of honey last week from my first year hive too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetastic View Post
    I was so surprised today when I went into my backyard hive. I looked down in the top medium and saw a bunch of white capped comb. First frame, fourth frame, eighth frame....tenth! Woo hoo! I took 8 frames that weighed in at a total of 35 pounds, so I am guessing 30-ish pounds of honey when it's all said and done. Although it's winter here in CA, we had heavy rain in December and then nothing for most of January. I guess with all the great flying weather and water in the ground, the girls put it on while I wasn't paying attention. This is my first winter honey crop. Yes!

We have many types of eucalyptus on the SF peninsula. The larger trees are Eucalyptus globulus, this is a photo of globulous compacta in bloom:

I've got a stand of Ironbark Eucalyptus close to my house. Of course who knows where they're going for it, but I have watched many a flight in that direction.