Default My observation hive is built and hung.

Finally figured out the hidge and mount system for the OH and it is ready for some bees.

Default Re: My observation hive is built and hung.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellva View Post
    Finally figured out the hidge and mount system for the OH and it is ready for some bees.

Very nice! It appears to have deep and medium slots, maybe even a shallow at the top. Did you design it to accommodate different frame sizes?

Very nice. Did you build it? I've got a similar 5 deep OB hive. Mine's been active for over 3 years and I still love to watch it. Do you have glass or plexiglas in it? Looks like you're using clear tubing. I ended up using black wet/dry vac hose because it's corrugated and when you swing it back and forth it won't pinch down the hole size. I found the thickness of the clear tubing made it very stiff and inflexible so it would pinch the opening all but closed when the hive parallelled the wall either way. The diameter of my entrance tube is 1 1/2" and it's as big as the OB hive frame will allow. You can't see through the tube and you can still see/hear them getting congested when any flow is on. As a 5 frame deep I'd have to consider a second exit to relieve congestion if I wasn't using the corrugated tube.

Nonetheless, looks great you'll enjoy it!
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I know were Im sitting!
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Well hung!!

Man, I'm jealous. When I told my wife last fall that a winter project was going to be an observation hive, she calmly suggested that I first build another house to hang it in.

Of course, last year was our first year with bees, so I'm hoping after a few more seasons pass, she'll be more open to the idea. In any case, I'm not done barking up that tree, and hope that I'll eventually win her over.

Wow, I want one. Haven't been able to come up with a good wall in our house for one.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by darrellva View Post

Hi,

I'm building one at the moment and was wondering if you could take some pictures of the hinge setup.

Gary

I am planing on building one about that size but am going to mount it to a table on wheels so we can move it out side as needed. I am going to keep it on our sun porch and it is wall to wall glass. I have been following your post about this OH and it looks GREAT.
    Jim

that is plain awesome , beat having a marine fish tank !!