Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Who took my beehives in Gypsum, Colorado?

Does CO have an Apiary Inspection program? Were your hives registered or their location? Any way to get the State behind you? How can you prove ownership were you to find them?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

No they weren't registered with the state and the apiary inspection program I think is not mandatory.

I'm sorry, mandatory? Which has what to do w/ your loss? Had your hives been registered w/ CO, perhaps you would have had some confirmation that you owned them and lost them. Apiary Inspectors often have an idea of what is going on in their district, who owns hives and what they look like. Which could come in handy when it comes to establishing your ownership.

Were you to locate your hives, how do you plan on getting them back and keeping them?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    <snip> I've been toying with ideas for a smaller branding iron to mark my frames with and tonight finally decided to cough the money for one of these from Rockler. I'm hoping they get it to me quicker than the 4-6 weeks that they mention.

Just makes me rest better knowing my hives are branded.

Ed
    I just thought I'd post these images for anyone interested or considering one of the small branding irons from Rockler. I like it. Crisp letters once you get the technique down good. I can get probably five brands out of one heating and then it only takes a minute or so to bring it back up to heat on my old gas heater. I looked online and found a coupon so the cost was around $53 including shipping.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    Police I can see depending upon the area could be helpful and could be a major pain. I've read where police have said that it's not their job to "protect the citizen". Really?!? I thought that was their job. But apparently it's not and it has even help up in court. I'd consider taking Gord's advice and look into court.
    There's an entire book called "Dial 911 and Die" that's written by a lawyer that addresses this exact problem. The police do not have a duty to protect an INDIVIDUAL but rather have a duty to protect the "public at large." This is purposely worded this way in legal-eeze so as to protect the police force from lawsuits. If individuals could sue an officer every time they got upset, all of the cops would spend 100% of their time defending themselves in court cases. So I get WHY it's set up this way, but on occasion the police will abuse this immunity too. And that's what the book's about. Basically, there's no state where you can go after the cops for not doing their jobs.

Intheswamp,

Looks like a nifty little branding iron! I just ordered one and will be marking my small inventory of equipment.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Sounds like a good case for judge judy.....and you get a free trip to hollywood... :-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123