Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Advice on killing a hive

Update:

I have been slammed busy and not had a chance to do anything about this since I posted. I was able to go out Friday afternoon and they were still alive and well. So this morning I double suited up and duct taped my pant legs shut. I made up some home made HBH and put it in a pump up sprayer.

It was cloudy, pretty breezy and about 65deg this morning, so I prepared for the worse.

I went in with heavy smoke, then pulled the tarp back and sprayed them down pretty good as they were starting to get rilled up. After the spray they seemed to really calm down. They had built some bur comb that I had to clean but I got them back on their stand without any issue. I probably could have just worn my jacket and jeans like normal and probably never gotten stung.

Went and checked them at 3pm so about 7 hours later. They were working as normal and had already drank half of each quart of 1:1 I put on as a top feeder.

Hive saved.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Congrats.

Good save. Now go shoot that cow that started the trouble in the first place and have yourself a bar b q

Glad you got it done.

As to working at night, I don't understand the problem, I mostly work my hives at night, its much easier, the bees don't fly, I'm not even sure they can see at all they just seem to crawl around confused and don't know what to make of me.

Many thanks for saving thousands of lives!
    Серёжа, Sergey

See, I knew you can do it! Just have to wait until they calm down again.
    Glad you did not make the decision to kill them all. Now you can buy a gentle
    queen bee for this hive too. Next time you can just scoop them up with your hands
    when they fall down.
    Maybe to put them outside the cow fence so they not knock the hive down again. Humm,
    you think the 5 gallon water bucket will work on top? Perhaps not. This is not a hurricane there.
    Good job!

So, are you going to requeen?
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I think as long as he can tolerate them he will not requeen. Requeen only when he cannot take them anymore. Or put others in danger when close to the bee hive. In Florida, the advice is to requeen once captured a swarm. Because they
    have the African bees there. It is not an easy decision knowing how productive they are. And not always there to open the hive at all the time. But if his goal is to raise the gentle hive then he will. Finding the gentle queen is not easy that there is no guarantee unless you know where they come from. And how gentle and productive they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I made up some home-made HBH and put it in a pump up sprayer.
    Interesting story, thanks for the update. But what's "HBH"? (Thanks, in advance)

-Kevin
    Kevin M. Pfeiffer -- Berlin, Germany

I like the pump up sprayer too. Very handy to use.

HBH is, "Honey Bee Healthy" . It's a formula of honey and/or invert sugar syrup and essential oils such as lemon grass, spearmint tea tree etc.
    I, and many others, concoct my own ,"mix"
    As far as the mean bees are concerned I can't imagine killing a hive due to temperament but I am not in an area where AHB are currently a problem. I had a hive last year that was impossible to work without coming away with a suit full of several hundres stingers. In my case it was a ,"batch" of bad brood from a drone because after a brood cycle or two it was back to normal. If it happens again I'll do one of the following:
    Add a teaspoon of nitrogen fertilizer to the smoker and get the bees stoned before working them. This uses Nitrix I believe it is called but it is fertilizer with only nitrogen so it is 34-0-0 and looks like little pearls. It takes just a little to get this converted to "laughing gas" and makes the bees easy to work. Don't give me grief pleasefor this suggestion. It is better than killing a queen or killing who knows how many stinging workers.
    Let them make their own queen to see if she produces any gentle offspring. I would kill the queen, set up a frame so they make good queen cells, make a few mini mating nucs and see if any cells produce gentle Queens.
    When working the hive try taking another deep with you and quickly put frames from the mean hive in it and take it 100' or more away to work this frames. That worked for me but these were not AHB.
    I certainly would absolutely not even consider killing the hive period. One bee shouldn't take out a whole hive. Sorry but the idea of doing so is completely illogical. Maybe I am missing something & if so please correct me.
    It's been a great producer so it is worth several hundred dollars at minimum.
    I suppose as a last resort put them on a farm somewhere with a bunch of supers and an excluderand let nature take its course then you go back and take the honey.
    Nevermind-I would still just gas them before opening the hive. Stand up wind
    HHoward
    Hampstead, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    So, are you going to requeen?
    Mix emotions on it. This is from a little swam I caught years ago and the queen is the best laying queen I’ve had and they are good producers. I am going to give them a couple weeks and do an inspection and see what their attitude is. I have queens ordered so if they not to my liking I will requeen.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    I think as long as he can tolerate them he will not requeen. Requeen only when he cannot take them anymore. Or put others in danger when close to the bee hive.
    Exactly. I’ve had hotter than these that I have caught from swarms in the past. But I have never had a hive that was mean from just standing around watching them. I’ve never been stung or chased just observing. The meanest one I ever had I could sit next to their hive all day with no issue at all. But once you opened them up, watch out!

glad you didnt have to kill them , like it or not mean bees are the best producers and mites killers too boot . they dont take any crap.also they build comb at a amazing speed, also they had a reason for being mean, dumb cow knock over there home. wouldnt you have been piss if someone crash there car in your home ? your whole family will come out like a swarm of bees at the person, and for chuck Norris he know to stay out of the way when i come to mean bees

Last edited by RAFAEL/PR; 03-18-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: mispell and update

Challenger, I like your attitudes toward the bees. Should not make the whole village suffers because of one bad apple. Still learning a lot here about the laughing gas. Fit for human consumption too.... Jk!
    This looks to me absolutely need to be requeen. Here is a thought. You can put the queen inside a 1 or 2 frame nuc box. Size like this one will reduce the meanness when they not even have enough foragers to barely keep the hive alive. I have done this before and they turn gentle in lesser number. If in case, your new queens not doing as expected or being meaner than your current nuc queen then you can use her instead. Also, you can use eggs from the gentle hive so they can make the gentle queen too. After that you can requeen this mean hive with a good laying queen. You can still keep this queen small for future expansion if you want in a 4 frame nuc box.

id do as michael bush says divide and conquer place a empty hive body with a frame of capped brood,eggs and larva from a calm hive you like in its place.all the older bees will return to it good by stinging bees mean hive will have young bees left find the queen and kill her when the new calm hive makes queen cells remove one place in hot hive after destroying all the queen cells in the hot hive.then you lose no time.

TX = reaonable probability of AHB = requeen ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I have one that has as always had an attitude but workable. I was going to requeen it this year. Well where I have it at a cow got out and knocked it over about 2 weeks ago. I went out to fix it in 40deg weather thinking they would be cold and I could fix it. As soon as I got close they were all over me. Tried smoking, nothing. They are not happy at all. So I said screw it and covered them with a heavy black tarp and figured I would kill them off and save the equipment. Well I went to gather the equipment today and they chewed some holes thru the tarp and were bringing in pollen. They weren't near as busy as before or as they should be, but they aren't near dead. Any ideas on the best way to kill them off without spraying? Lots of good drawn out frames worth saving.
    Can't say I'd advise killing at all. Their aggression seems well warranted, and if nothing else, it sounds like you have a good, strong hive. If it were me, I'd bend over backwards to salvage this genetic line. They're clearly resilient, and precisely what the bee world needs. Sure they were angry, but they SHOULD have been. If they'd been particularly hot without provocation then I'd say nuke 'em, but they certainly had reason for the heat. The fact that they're still alive says to me that they're worth keeping.

Good job in saving the hive.

If it's still hot you might consider a cut down split. Many variations depending on your goal. Basic methods to take the queen and a few frames of brood to a nuc, you leave the old hive with eggs to make a new queen, check for queen cells 8 days later remove all but 2 queen cells. You do this so they will not have a laying queen or open brood for the nectar flow. Without all the open brood to feed and care for the hive will produce more honey. Raise a new queen, prevent swarming and a break in mite breeding cycle.

In your case I might bank your hot queen. During the start of nectar flow or a little before. Not move any frames of brood, and let them raise a queen, remove all but 2queen cells. (keeping her genes in the hive). And with any luck you might get large honey crop, a new queen and nicer feral survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Good job in saving the hive.

If it's still hot you might consider a cut down split. Many variations depending on your goal. Basic methods to take the queen and a few frames of brood to a nuc, you leave the old hive with eggs to make a new queen, check for queen cells 8 days later remove all but 2 queen cells. You do this so they will not have a laying queen or open brood for the nectar flow. Without all the open brood to feed and care for the hive will produce more honey. Raise a new queen, prevent swarming and a break in mite breeding cycle.

In your case I might bank your hot queen. During the start of nectar flow or a little before. Not move any frames of brood, and let them raise a queen, remove all but 2queen cells. (keeping her genes in the hive). And with any luck you might get large honey crop, a new queen and nicer feral survivors.
    Interesting idea. Thanks. Though I don't understand removing all but 2 cells. What would be the difference if there was 2 or 10?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast