Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Advice on killing a hive

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Interesting idea. Thanks. Though I don't understand removing all but 2 cells. What would be the difference if there was 2 or 10?
    2 cells incase one doesn't work. Any more and you increase the chances of after swarms with a virgin queen.

I was thinking about this last night. I've got 4 strong hives. Right before the flow I should split these and take the queen and let them raise their own and it will increase honey production? Seems like a very simple plan if it will work well.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

You can adjust it to fit your needs. For max honey production remove just the queen 8 days before the flow (all the open brood will be capped in time for the flow).

For making a whole bunch of splits and no honey crop, remove the queen and a few frames of brood to a nuc, notch 5 day old larva on several frames in the original hive, 4-15 day window to make splits before virgin hatch, making sure each has only 2 capped queen cells. All splits will need to be checked to verify the virgin queens mated/returned and are laying. Recombine any splits that fail to make a queen with the queen right splits. If you've split hives before you'll know it about 80% success rate during a flow when there are drones flying.

I am going for both honey production and one split and IMO the best choice. I will take the queen and 3 frames of brood, a few shakes of bees (making a strong nuc). let the hive raise a queen and fill honey supers. If any of the hives fail to make a queen I will add the nuc back. The ones that are successful will give me an extra nuc to replace winter losses or expand

http://www.bushfarms.com/beessplits.htm#cutdown
    http://www.mdasplitter.com/
    http://www.mdasplitter.com/docs/OTS.pdf

Excellent info. I wasn’t sure if making one split taking the 3 frames of brood and the laying queen would affect honey production with those 3 frames of bees gone.

Thanks for your help!
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Man I've missed this forum. Too bad I didn't jump back on sooner I would have asked to come out to help. Granted I really wanted to video tape your trying this at night. ;-)
    Doug Knoodle
    Professional web developer/designer. If you need something done let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by daknoodle View Post
    Man I've missed this forum. Too bad I didn't jump back on sooner I would have asked to come out to help. Granted I really wanted to video tape your trying this at night. ;-)

You still have those splits we made a couple years ago?

Wrights Bacon is still where it's at.

I enquired about killing a hive on this forum several years ago. It was advised to wait a couple of weeks to see if the bees calmed a little which they did & I requeened. The advice was to use copious amounts of alcohol soaked rags in a sealed up hive. Although the alcohol is certainly flammable the equipment & honey is not contaminated after the termination. Anyone that keeps bees would only terminate a hive as a last resort but safety of family, pets etc. trumps the bees in my opinion. I am going to get some nitrogen fertilizer & try that suggestion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123