Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Advice on killing a hive

I have one that has as always had an attitude but workable. I was going to requeen it this year. Well where I have it at a cow got out and knocked it over about 2 weeks ago. I went out to fix it in 40deg weather thinking they would be cold and I could fix it. As soon as I got close they were all over me. Tried smoking, nothing. They are not happy at all. So I said screw it and covered them with a heavy black tarp and figured I would kill them off and save the equipment. Well I went to gather the equipment today and they chewed some holes thru the tarp and were bringing in pollen. They weren't near as busy as before or as they should be, but they aren't near dead. Any ideas on the best way to kill them off without spraying? Lots of good drawn out frames worth saving.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Default Re: Advice on killing a hive

If they were mine I would put on enough clothes to weather the storm and put them back together. They sound like my most productive colony. Mine require smoke and a full set of clothes. Good Luck and keep us informed! I know you can handle them!

I've always read that soapy water would take care of them. I believe that dish soap was used...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Ether will kill bees quickly and dissipates in a few days in warm weather may take longer in cold temps. Equipment is usable as soon as it dries up.
    Major

I'd put them back together and requeen as soon as possible.

Shake them out when it gets a bit warmer. Remove the boxes. Give them a bit for the flyers to fly and then go through what is left and find the queen and do away with her. End of hive

Quote Originally Posted by Myron Denny View Post
    If they were mine I would put on enough clothes to weather the storm and put them back together. They sound like my most productive colony. Mine require smoke and a full set of clothes. Good Luck and keep us informed! I know you can handle them!
    I'm doing it! Just told the wife she will need to make sure I am duct taped up real good then she can go. Great hive. Good producers. Just has a temper. All natural not treatments and they have been rocking the last couple years. I'll take some pics. Best I can anyway.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

If ya kill em, they won't learn nothin

surviving such conditions - they deserve to be alive!
    Серёжа, Sergey

Don't kill them!

It is not the worker bee's fault. It is the mean old queen. Get rid of her off the big hive. Put in a nice young gentle queen. And everything will be calm and gentle again.

I got a really mean hive with lots of bees before. After I put in a new queen then everything is back to normal. I don't have to wear my veil now on a hive check. I don't use a smoker either. I have both and a full body bee suit as well.

The worker bees are innocent here. So don't kill them off also. They done nothing wrong only to listen to the mean old queen, that's all. Her hormones had gone wild.

You can do it a night time if you want to when they are much calmer than the day time. Since the hives are only tipped off just split them up into new hives. Then put in new queens for as many hives as you can manage. Later on you will have nice gentle hive to give you lots of honey too. Don't have to kill all of them off.
    A smaller hive will not show aggressiveness that they barely have enough guard bees to keep themselves warm at night time. Now that I know how to manage aggressive hives the splitting idea is good to use.

>You can do it a night time if you want to when they are much calmer than the day time.

Famous last words....

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    >You can do it a night time if you want to when they are much calmer than the day time.

Famous last words....
    I was thinking the same!

Re-queening a wild hive is never much fun but I would not kill the bees. With spring approaching it is quite possible the bees will superseed the queen.
    These days with full suits it should be possible to have a go.

Do you have a similarly productive hive to make a queen from? Sure, requeening should make them more docile, but if you give them a queen from somewhere else, you also lose all the resiliency and ability to survive and productivity that you might like in that hive. Let them requeen themselves, if you can and if you want to try to preserve the line.

I had a hive like this last year. I really hated to kill them off, but I have young boys and we couldn't get within 25 feet of them, didn't have another safe place to move them, and had some scheduled activities with a lot of people so I couldn't wait for the new queen. Tried dry ice twice. Finally just went in with my bee vac. Dropped the hole mean mess in the freezer, then split the brood and stores into other hives. That makes the other ones maybe a little more aggressive but it was mixed in and not a problem. One option, not the best though.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    You can do it a night time if you want to when they are much calmer than the day time.
    I'm guessin' that you've never worked bees in the dark......
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrequeeninghot.htm

Divide and conquer. I would not work bees at night. Especially hot bees... they crawl, and cling, and sting... although its true they don't fly much...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Originally Posted by beepro
    You can do it a night time if you want to when they are much calmer than the day time.
    And make it a memorable occasion

ANY hive that got knocked over will be pissy. I have had great hives vandilzed several times in the last years, every one was pissy for WEEKS afterwards..... bees are like us... we let friends come and go and were cool... first time the TV is broken and the house torn up nobody is allowed in the house!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    first time the TV is broken and the house torn up nobody is allowed in the house!
    Whoa! The TV was broken?! No wonder they have an attitude!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Wink Re: Advice on killing a hive

Yeah, bad bees! Bad bees!
    They are so mean. Bad queen, bad queen!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast