Default Contemplating cutout, but some bees acting strange.

I've been asked to do a cutout of an infestation of bees in the exterior wall of an old run down house.

The renter has specifically asked that I work to save the colony.

The funny thing is that some bees keep making it inside the house, and they act insane, and die shortly later. I've seen one of these bees - It was skittering around in circles on the floor. It is what I'd expect from poisoning.

Oddly, the owners swear they haven't used any poisoning - And I believe them.

It doesn't make sense to me that behavior this acute could be attributed to a poisoning that happened in years previous - Otherwise the colony itself would be dead.

Poisoning seems to only happen to bees that make it inside. I've not seen this behavior in the short time I've observed traffic around the external entrance.

My only hypothesis is that they're coming in through the light sockets, and getting a shock on the way through.

Any other ideas?

Default Re: Contemplating cutout, but some bees acting strange.

Could also be attracted to the light, & being burnt when they come through.
    Dan

I agree with KQ....perhaps their wings are getting fried by a light? Other than that, the only time I have seen a bee do a break dance, she was poisoned.

Last edited by Metropropolis; 02-15-2013 at 01:53 PM.

I am assuming that you have talked to the owner about opening his property ? Did you get close enough to notice any smell to the hive ? I did remove some bees from an old house and when I got them home they had a strong oder. Being concerned I destroyed the bees so as not to lose bees in any of my other hives due to foul brood....Rick
    If you remove any brood cells watch for FB.
    Turn stumbling blocks into stepping stones