Thread: Handling Mold

Default Handling Mold

Hi All

So what do you guys do to handle mold that builds up on your inner cover and lid? How do you clean it? Do you replace the lid and inner cover? Do you let the bees handle it?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Handling Mold

You need to address the problem that causes the mold and that is ventilation. Possibly you need the straw or leaves in a basket above inner cover to absorb that moisture and dissipate it. Wash or scrape the mold off and dry the cover. The mold is in the air everywhere so throwing away equipment won't matter.

Make an upper entrance to let the moisture out... after that, let the bees clean it up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yup, you got mold you have bigger problems..... power wash and bleach to kill it off (bleach rinse won't bother bees...) and get some airflow!

Mold and mildew is usually no big deal. I always get a little here and there. I never worry about it. The bees take care of it unless it's really out of control. I think we're all a little overly paranoid about mold. Give them ventilation and let them deal with nature as they've been doing for a long, long time.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"