Default The COLOSS BEEBOOK is here!

CATCH THE BUZZ
    The COLOSS BEEBOOK is here!

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-20...6.archive.html

Looks like it wont be hard to find research papers for all you people that want the technical aspects of beekeeping.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: The COLOSS BEEBOOK is here!

Did I misunderstand? I thought this was a catalog of what are supposed to be standard procedures for doing research....I mist have missed the part where research becomes more accessible?
    Deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

“The editors and author team hope that the BEEBOOK will serve as a reference tool for honey bee and other researchers globally. We hope that the honey bee research community will embrace this tool and work to improve it. The online platform is open for everyone to use and further contribute to the development of our research field”.
    I took this to mean that everyone could access the research online globally.
    Brian Cardinal

....if you started reading at the top, you would have seen:
    The COLOSS “BEEBOOK: standard methodologies for Apis mellifera research” edited by Vincent Dietemann of the Swiss Bee Research Centre, Agroscope Liebefeld-Posieux , Peter Neumann of the University of Bern, Switzerland, and Jamie Ellis of the University of Florida, USA, will be published both online in the Journal of Apicultural Research and as a hard copy book for use at the laboratory bench.

The COLOSS “BEEBOOK” is a unique venture that aims to standardise methods for studying the honey bee. It will be a practical manual, compiling standard methods in all fields of research on the honey bee, Apis mellifera, and become the definitive, but evolving, research manual, composed of 33 peer-reviewed chapters authored by more than 160 of the world’s leading honey bee experts. Chapters will describe methods for studying honey bee biology, methods for understanding honey bee pests and pathogens, and methods for breeding honey bees. The initial BEEBOOK project will be divided into three volumes: The COLOSS BEEBOOK, Volume I: Standard methods for Apis mellifera research; The COLOSS BEEBOOK, Volume II: Standard methods for Apis mellifera pest and pathogen research; and The COLOSS BEEBOOK, Volume III: Standard methods for Apis mellifera product research.
    This is a list of standard methods....as Allen pointed out on Bee-L, it is premature to standardize any of the methods used in bee research....so few of them are well thought out and tested to begin with.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Wouldn't standardization help with the "thought out and tested"? It helps in the medical field and the engineering field.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Wouldn't standardization help with the "thought out and tested"? It helps in the medical field and the engineering field.
    Yah and look how well the medical field is working out. Push the latest drugs just like bee meds.
    Im really not that serious

Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Push the latest drugs just like bee meds.
    I can't make a connection between what you say and setting standards. I am not arguing that pharmaceuticals are not pushing drugs. They certainly are.
    Brian Cardinal