Default What is better 8frame med or 5 frame deeps, Where to start?

I have been hearing about all the benefits of the 8f med but isn't a 5 frame just same surface area what are the pros and cons of each, because i am digging on the 5 frame nuc boxes as starter boxes for my packages this year.
    Rick Kumer

Default Re: What is better 8frame med or 5 frame deeps, Where to start?

What size frames do you want in your hives, mediums or deeps?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Rick, Yes a 5fr deep is the same as a 8fr medium. Two double deeps should yield you honey and will overwinter just
    fine in Iowa. I use them exclusively.

thanks I was wondering about it. and the 5 frame deeps should be cheaper too to build buy cool thanks
    Rick Kumer

You can grow all eight frame mediums into a stable hive. If you grow five frame deeps as tall as a booming hive requires, they blow over easily.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by CtyAcres View Post
    Rick, Yes a 5fr deep is the same as a 8fr medium. Two double deeps should yield you honey and will overwinter just
    fine in Iowa. I use them exclusively.
    How many frames does the brood nest in this setup cover; all 5 in the bottom deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    You can grow all eight frame mediums into a stable hive. If you grow five frame deeps as tall as a booming hive requires, they blow over easily.
    Thank you for bringing that up, yes that could be a problem being top heavy. I figured on if I stacked the boxes side by side then they would not be such a problem or strapping them down which is what I am planning to do anyway, the only problem I am seeing it the entrances being too close, but would that really be such a problem with them? curious
    Last edited by weldingfreak6010; 02-13-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add text
    Rick Kumer

Rail, I don't go into my nuc hives much until spring. Then I usually have brood in both boxes with honey and pollen on outside frames.
    Never opened them up in summer to look. I use 2x12's for boxes cut to langstroth specs, with C.C. Miller style bottom board
    and slatted rack. The heat dynamics of the bees in a 5fr double deep nuc hive is incredible. I keep them in sun and protected
    from wind per Langstroth.

> the only problem I am seeing it the entrances being too close, but would that really be such a problem with them?

Mine are all eight frame, and up against each other and I don't have issues. But you will be a little closer and I think Italians drift more than my feral survivors and carnis. Probably it would work fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

You can also alternate entrance directions. One front, the next one facing back, next one facing front ect. The problem with that is you'll be inspecting hives in front of other hives causing a serious confusion of the returning bees on all hives.