Default Five frame medium nucs. Best way to expand after purchase

I'm getting some five frame medium nucs this year and am wondering what is most perferable to start out in when I get them home. I'm switching to all 8 frame mediums this year and am not sure if it would be better to put them in an eight frame box or a keep them as a five frame nuc with a second story? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks, Jay.

Default Re: Five frame medium nucs. Best way to expand after purchase

You can do it either way. If they are really strong go ahead and put them in an eight frame box which will save a step of adding a five frame medium then transferring later.
    Putting another five frame medium on may get them to draw comb a little faster but you will have to transfer them into another box sooner or later.
    If they are not very strong leave them in the five frame nuc until they are.

great choice!!!

You'll probably get frames drawn more quickly supering your nuc.
    You will also gets swarms much more quickly.
    A nuc can go from, "Hmmm, better put another box on soon," to "Holy cats! I didn't know they could swarm so quick!" faster than you think.
    I often pull brood from nucs for swarm control and add them to production hives.

It would be wise to go with the hive body and keep the bees out of the trees.

Thanks all. Will probably put them in hive bodies. Jay

If the nuc is really strong when you get it and a flow is on I would put it in a hive body and go ahead and super it at the same time.
    Since '09-30H-T-Z6b

Last year when I picked up a couple 5 frame nuc's knowing the seller wanted his nuc box's back and it was 1 1/2 hour drive one way I showed up with a bottom board screwed to a medium box on top ( only two screws) with a migratory style lid with two screened holes the size of a mason jar lid , secured it with a ratchet strap . When I got there he pulled the frames from the nuc and made sure the queen was up and about and then placed them in my medium , once I got home I didn't have to mess with them much other than put them in the bee yard and swap tops with a regular telescoping top , worked out real nice and the bee's had good ventilation for the ride home .

I run all medium equipment, they can blow out of a 5 frame medium quickly if there is a flow.
    Depending on how many frames of brood, should be 4. I take mine straight to the 8 frame box. Put the brood in the 3,4,5,6 slots, a frame of honey in the 1 and 8 slot, an empty undrawn frames next to the brood nest in the 2 and 7 slot. If you are feeding or there is a flow, the will draw the empty frames very quickly, 2 to 4 days if the population is strong. As soon as they are half drawn, I would add a box, pull the 1 & 8 frames up to the 4,5 slots above the brood. Slide the newly drawn 2,7 out to the 1,8 slots and add new empty frames back in the 2,7.

Look for Matt Daveys thread on Opening up the brood nest.

How would you handle the transfer if you bought a 5 frame nuc and transfered to a 10 frame medium?
    In other words how would you handle the frame depth differance.
    gww

Best to find medium nucs , there out just have to look around , I don't think the guy I got mine from made up many mediums but I asked before hand and he made them up , I think mediums are getting more popular . If you have a good supplier near buy ask him if he well make you some mediums but let him know well ahead of time .

Best to find medium nucs , there out just have to look around , I don't think the guy I got mine from made up many mediums but I asked before hand and he made them up , I think mediums are getting more popular . If you have a good supplier near buy ask him if he well make you some mediums but let him know well ahead of time .
    I can ask, but so far, I am having to look at imported stuff with pick up spots 80 miles and up away from me?

So if my chioces end up being limited, do a cut and paste type fill or add room and wait till the bees move up and the down hatches and hope they don't mess the extra bee space up too bad?

Or hold out till something fits?

I have one guy running foundationless that will do a cut out with a couple frames to get me started, also about 70 miles away.

These questions might just show how new I am.
    Thanks
    gww

You must have some clubs around you , there a good place to start , get in the club and see where there getting nuc's from .

I showed a club member my set up yesterday. We even walked to the field where I intend to set up. Looked at my homade equipment. He was the president of the club till recently. He lives near the same town as me. I only met him yesterday due to leads on how to contact him from suggestions from this forum.

He offered me some old comb for my traps and thought in this area I would have a pretty good shot of getting a swarm. His only detraction was that I might lose some bigger swarms by only using a 10 frame medium and it would be better if I stacked two of them. He also said that opinions differ and as I only have six mediums it would cut down my traping areas to only three. He thought I had a chance with only one medium but migtht get a bigg swarm that wouldn't fit. I told him of a study that I had read of comparing 20L space to a 40L space and I thought without looking up a convertion chart that a medium might be in the 30L range. I might have led him abit by mentioning the study and there fore the lots of opinion comments. He did offer me to look in his hives while he works them. Says he has had bees for about 20 years though I think small scale. Very nice guy. So basicaly I was trying to decide on six trap sites with smaller traps or three with optimum sites. I built everything with reclaimed matirials and would have more but ran out of wood. I don't mind buying bees if it comes down to it, but he only knew of a place to get bees that was 70 miles away. A guy selling nucs. Even then they only can make the queens later in the spring, so some time to spend trying on my own before then.
    Thanks gww

PS math is not my best but I think a mediam was about 28L and the study said 40L caught more then 20L

Quote Originally Posted by jaywalker View Post
    I'm getting some five frame medium nucs this year and am wondering what is most perferable to start out in when I get them home. I'm switching to all 8 frame mediums this year and am not sure if it would be better to put them in an eight frame box or a keep them as a five frame nuc with a second story? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks, Jay.
    Wish I had done what you are doing. I have 8-frame deeps, which can be rather heavy for me.

As to your questions, if you are going to an 8-frame and the nucs are getting are strong, I would get them into the 8-frame at or before the nectar flow. That way you aren't messing with them while they are at work during the flow.