Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Coffee Grounds?

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  kilocharlie 
#1 ·
It has been in the 50s, sun and little wind in the afternoon. My bees have been all over the compost bin and are really into the coffee grounds. What can they be getting from them? Does it indicate that they are in need of something specific? Thanks.

#2 ·
Are the grounds moist, I assume? Might just be drinking from them. I've got a compost pile 25 yards away from my hives, but I've never seen my bees in it. Do they have a good water source already? What other things are you composting in there that they might be interest in? Just the coffee and yard debris?

#3 ·
Mine did that last spring before any bloom. Give them some patties, I had very little pollen in frames when I inspected. If you do not want to open up hive yet, try dry sub above inner cover. A little syrup will help them find it.

#4 ·
There are 2 creeks and a pond closer than the compost pile. Plus the ground is very moist as we have had a lot of rain recently.
However, the coffee grounds are moist. The rest of the pile is the usual yard waste, some kitchen veggie scraps and ashes. But they are mostly swarming all over the coffee grounds. Maybe it is easier for them to get the moisture from the grounds than the other sources mentioned.

#9 ·
Check to see if their pupals are really big,,,,,,,Red Bull Honey Syndrome. (RBHS) :) I wouldn't leave any spent chew laying around outside or the streaks at the hive entrance may not be from Nosema LOL.
Bet they are looking for protein,,,Mine have brought bird feeder dust in.

#14 ·
Thanks. Very interesting to follow the links on Wikipedia. I knew I should have paid more attention in Fr. Big Ben Johnson's 10th grade Chem class o' these many years ago. :lookout: Interesting that they are connected to pheromones-might want to try some in a swarm trap.

#15 ·
Coffee grounds have a fair amount of protein in them, and i bet there's not much pollen in Middletown yet.

The bees are raising brood to prepare for spring, and are probably desperate for pollen.
I'd seriously consider putting out some pollen sub for them to take instead of coffee, or using a high protein (as opposed to low protein winter patty.

Once you start, though, don't stop until a pollen flow starts to replace it.
And be ready to give them more room when they need it.

#16 ·
Beregondo,
Thanks for the advice. I am in Lexington, VA. having moved. The Profile page/About Me won't let me change my location. I sent a message to admin to try and get instructions but no response yet.
We do have some pollen but not much. I am going to put in a patty.

#17 ·
The Profile page/About Me won't let me change my location. I sent a message to admin to try and get instructions but no response yet.
The is no forum option for the member to update his location. The only way to do it is to send a PM to moderator Barry, with a request to update your profile with your new location information.

#19 ·
Unless there is sugar in the coffee grounds, my suspicion is that they are gathering compounds for making propolis, also known as bee glue. I doubt that you will be able to scrape some off the hive and taste coffee, though - it is usually closer to the medicine taste of cough drops - but you might try it anyways.

#20 ·
My guess is not all hives do it for the same reason everytime. They do it for what they need then. Mine were trying to carry off individual grounds, slowly made holes in their favorite spots, never saw any in the hives.

#21 ·
Yeah, the ones going only after the 4x esspresso Blue Mountain coffee grounds are getting high on caffeine instead of doing their work. Those are the ones flying 170 mph and buzzing in a high soprano pitch. They used to have ADHD, until they discovered caffeine. The honey gives color hallucinations, along with altered states of consciousness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.