Default Does anyone have opinions on the Dadant LIQUIDATOR?

Does anyone have opinions/experience concerning the Dadant LIQUIDATOR? I don't have a way to get a look at one and the pictures on their website don't show much. Is the tank a cone bottom or full jacket like a Maxant? It seems that if it was used as a wax melter, getting the wax out of it for bottling would be no fun at all.
    Hamp
    Where are we and what's with this hand basket?

Default Re: Does anyone have opinions on the Dadant LIQUIDATOR?

I bought one of these this year. I'd say its like having one reallly good adjustable wrench to do all your nut tightening jobs; workable but not ideal.

It is not water jacketed. Basically you're looking at an approximately 180# capacity stainless steel tank with an immersion heater that screws into the side near the bottom. To operate the immersion heater is covered with a minimum quantity of water and turned on.

If you never plan on having more than 20 hives OR money is tight this is a good and functionel unit, a good place to start.

Default Re: Does anyone have opinions on the Dadant LIQUIDATOR?

The instructions say you dont have to worry about getting all of the wax off the sides and bottom of the tank before bottling but you will probably find that the reality is that some of the wax has to be removed as water gets in the thin spaces between the wax and the tank walls. its bit obnoxious going from wax melting to honey bottling as the thing need to be well cleaned and dried before putting honey in.

Also, this is a bottom draining unit, it has one outlet. once the wax is liquified you open up the bottom drain and empty the tank into buckets (i strain thru row cover fabric but cheeseclothe or another filter will no doubt work). The wax floats and hardens on top of the honey/water mixture in the buckets.

I may have been too harsh in my initial assesment and should say that this thing has helped me particularly in the processing of raw wax into blocks and the ability to bottle larger batches of honey. I'm sure it will continue to be a useful tool especially as it can become dedicated to performing one task (ie wax melting). its a swiss army knife, i'm just waring you that once in a awhile your going to want a machete.